Smelter Repair Employee (Claypool, AZ, US, 85532)
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Skilled mechanic who under supervision safely performs diagnostic, maintenance, installation and repair of equipment and process systems in a Smelter.
- Assists with and performs diagnostic, replacement and repairs to include but not limited to the following systems: anode plant, mold plant, converter, acid plant and hydraulic systems
- Performs component diagnostic, replacement and repairs to include but not limited to plant equipment, gear boxes, pumps, fans, conveyor belts, bearings, pulleys, gas lines, piping waterlines, (conveyor) conveyor table, trough finders, return idlers, shovels and cables
- Performs mechanical and lubrication preventative maintenance
- May operate equipment such as: forklifts, cranes, boom trucks, loaders and small mobile equipment
- May be required to proficiently perform welding tasks
- Performs work area inspections and housekeeping duties
- Perform other duties as required
- One (1) year of experience in mechanical/maintenance crafts (including welder, boilermaker, machinist or facility maintenance/construction) or a combination of education and experience in industrial mechanical repair and maintenance
- Ability to read blueprints
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures
- Must have completed academic and competencies required (this includes Line of Progression requirements for internal employees), and have experience demonstrating required mechanical aptitude. Selected candidate shall demonstrate ability to apply knowledge and technical skills while also passing a written assessment. This exam is based on technical skills/abilities and/or academic knowledge; as well as safety.
- High School diploma or GED
- Two (2) years of hands-on mechanical maintenance repair/rebuild experience with industrial fixed plant equipment and waist heat boilers (pumps, motors, gearboxes, pulleys, Belts, welding, etc.) that includes to include training and strong understanding of moving and rotating equipment such as pumps, motors, gearboxes and conveyors, from an operations and maintenance perspective, electrically and mechanically
- Training and experience in welding SMAW 6G or 2&5G pipe procedures (R-STAMP), pipe fitting and fabrication
- Training on basic lubrication and sampling
- Ability to understand and apply information from technical manuals and other reference materials
- Experience with Waste Heat Boilers
- Experience with Equipment Operating
- Experience with Masonry/ refractory bricking
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, and work on elevated platforms
- Occasionally will be required to lift up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the work day
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability