$5000 HIRING BONUS-Intermodal Equipment Operator 1 (Cicero, IL, US, 60804)
Apply early as this job may be filled at any time.
Job Location: Cicero
Other Potential Locations: Cicero, IL
Anticipated Start Date: 10/17/2022
Number of Positions: 20
Salary Range: Entry rate is approx. $23.63/hr - $27.81/hr
New Hires at the following locations: all TYE positions in the states of CA, WA, MT and IL; all TYE positions in Minot, ND, Aberdeen, SD, Wilmar, MN, Alliance, NE, Lincoln, NE, Cheyenne, WY, Edgemont, SD, Beaumont, TX, La Junta, CO, Chaffee, MO and all IEO locations are eligible for a $5,000 hiring incentive - payable over ten (10) months in two equal installments of $2,500 available for candidates who meet all qualifications below:
- Offered a position and successfully complete the pre-employment process
- Successful completion of the first four months of new-hire training and service to be eligible for the first $2,500 installment
- Complete 6 additional months of active service at the hired location to be eligible for the second $2,500 installment.
- This incentive will include a 3-year hold-down. Leaving the location or job for any reason (including relocation of more than 50 miles from the headquartered location) will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments.
- **Additional information will be provided to candidates selected to interview
**Additional information will be provided to candidates selected to interview.
All communication with applicants will be done via email. Please check your email on a daily basis.
Who we are and what we do
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation's freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
What we believe
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
Position has 3 levels of graduated proficiency handling intermodal equipment in railroad intermodal facility. Intermodal Equipment Operators may perform one level primarily; all Operators are expected to perform other levels as needed. Operate heavy equipment: cranes, side-loaders, forklifts, hostler trucks.
SAFETY: Comply with company and federal safety rules, policies and procedures, such as: wear required safety equipment; respond to and act on safety concerns.
GROUND SUPPORT WORKER: Assist Crane/Lift Operators to load trailers and containers on/off railcars and chassis. Work on uneven surfaces and walk long distances adjacent to railcar; climb on/off railcars. Place/remove locking/unlocking Interbox connectors weighing up to 16 lbs. Set container pedestals weighing up to 50 lbs on railcars. Lock/unlock and raise/lower trailer hitches on railcars.
HOSTLER TRUCK OPERATOR: Operate up to 65,000 lb trucks in yard, with trailing units 20-57 ft long. Maneuver tractor-trailer on tight corners, in/out of parking spaces. Use on-board computer peripheral to communicate with yard management. Railcar spotting and id processes. Understand chassis-owner relationship.
CRANE/LIFT EQUIPMENT OPERATOR: Operate rubber tire gantry crane or similar equipment to lift 20-57 ft trailers and containers, weighing up to 65,000 lbs, on/off railcars and intermodal chassis.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- At least 18 years of age, or will be by the anticipated start date listed above
- Read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Able to work full-time (40 hrs/wk) subject to overtime, nights, on-call (24/7), weekends, holidays
- Lift/carry up to 50 lbs
- Possess valid state-issued driver's license
- Able to visually distinguish colors - red, blue, green, yellow; hear, and with training, distinguish auditory signals
- Accurately input data in computer systems
- Able to use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling
- Able to perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb on/off equipment
- Able to work in conditions with loud noise and fumes; work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, walk, stand, sit for extended time and use hand tools
Training: Company-paid on-the-job.
Compensation: Average annual salary of $40,164 - $59,820 is for an employee with 3 - 5 years of seniority and depends on hours worked, which could include overtime, per diem, and other union-negotiated wages.
Relocation: Assistance not available.
Work Conditions: Extreme all-weather conditions; uneven surfaces; safety sensitive work environment.
Probationary Period: 8 months.
Shifts/Hours: Full-time (40 hrs/wk) subject to subject to on-call (24/7), nights, overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Union: Transportation Communications International Union.
Dues: Per union agreement; membership and dues required.
BNSF Employees receive a competitive benefit package.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
COVID-19 Federal Vaccine Mandate
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect all aspects of our lives. From the onset, BNSF’s goals have remained the same: keep our people safe and maintain our essential operations. While we maintained that the decision to be vaccinated for COVID-19 is a personal one, we also encouraged employees to consider the options and make the best decision for themselves and their families.
Under President Biden’s COVID-19 Action Plan, BNSF is covered by the federal mandate requiring vaccination. Effective December 8, 2021, BNSF has paused its implementation of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate given the dynamic legal proceedings. The ultimate outcome of the federal contractor vaccine mandate is yet to be determined. It is still possible that the mandate, as it applies to BNSF, could be upheld in court in the near future. If this happens, BNSF employees would be required to be vaccinated.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
F: MO | Admin/Other Trades Transitioning Military | Operations - Transportation | Cicero, IL | 60804
Zip/Postal Code: [