Starting pay $12.00 per hour. The Custodian (seasonal) contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by performing routine and standard custodial duties and functions throughout the zoo under supervision in order to meet operating needs and in accordance with routine operating procedures to provide an exceptional guest experience.
The primary duties and responsibilities:
- Seasonal custodians are expected to perform a variety of duties that may include any or all of the following. Specific assignments will vary depending upon the nature of the work performed and/or specific area(s) and tasks assigned.
- Perform general custodial cleaning duties as directed by supervisor, including sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, waste collection, rug cleaning, paper picking, laundering, etc. Assigned work areas may include all sections of the park: restrooms, restaurants, lunchrooms, offices, laboratories and hospital, public areas of animal buildings, conference rooms and meeting areas, security, etc. Properly operate and maintain assigned equipment including mops and buckets, brooms and other hand tools, vacuum cleaners, scrubbers, rug cleaning equipment, laundry equipment, and other equipment as required.
- Observe standard safety procedures and the use of safety equipment. Inspect work areas for safety hazards and reports such to supervisor.
- Work cooperatively with others to achieve departmental and Society goals. Advise supervisor of client and material needs for assigned work areas. Attends meetings as assigned.
- Inform and assist the public in a courteous and welcoming manner. Maintain awareness of park schedules and activities to provide information to the public as necessary.
- Assure work, equipment, work areas, and self, represent the Society in a safe, clean, professional and orderly manner at all times.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Specifications
The requirements for this position include:
- Minimum 16 years of age.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Must be able to read, write and perform basic math.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
The preferred qualifications:
- High school diploma or (GED) equivalent preferred.
- Prior custodial experience desirable.
- Multi-lingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
Additional Information: Seasonal Custodial positions require flexible, dependable, motivated, and results-oriented individuals. Incumbents must be able to work under pressure, effectively handle emergent issues, and deal effectively with other staff in a tactful and professional manner. Incumbents are expected to gain a clear understanding of and support the Society’s mission, vision and values, and to incorporate this into daily work performance. Must adhere to performance standards in order to ensure a safe and sanitary environment for staff, guests and the animal collection. Must learn Society and department operations and procedures, physical park layout, and Custodial Department work areas, and support CZS PRIDE values.
This requisition is for temporary/seasonal positions with anticipated start dates in April 2020.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The timeframe for this position is typically April - December. The work schedule for this position typically consists of 40 hours per week. Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year including all weekends and holidays. The work schedule typically consists of 5 days per week including Saturdays and Sundays with two days off during the middle of the week. The typical work schedule is 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. during peak season and 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the off season. For special events such as Summer Nights which takes place Fridays and Saturdays during the summer and Holiday Magic which takes place Saturdays and Sundays during the month of December as well as December 26-31 the work schedule is typically 12:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Work schedules are based on the needs of the operation.
Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Plant & Facilities
Any 5 out of 7 days/week