Requisition Number: RESID05052
Is social justice deeply important to you? Consider joining our award winning agency as a Residential Support Specialist (RSS) in our Youth and Young Adult Services (YAYAS) Programs. We have a variety of programs where young people learn life skills. The RSS works with youth 1:1 and in groups in the residence and in the community so that residents will be prepared for adult life. We foster a collegial and therapeutic environment through the use of problem-solving, coaching, and relationship-building techniques.
For decades, Thresholds has provided mental health and substance use treatment in Chicago’s communities. Take advantage of our excellent orientation and training programs to learn the latest in evidence-based practices. We also offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, opportunities for growth and continuing education, and clinical supervision for LCPC/LCSW licensure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct supervision to members in group homes or apartment settings.
- Coaches members on independent living skills, such as housekeeping, shopping, meal preparation, personal hygiene, and activity planning.
- Teaches and monitors appropriate social skills amongst members. Assists members in learning to express and regulate emotions.
- Co-leads groups and activities. Engages with members about members’ goals and interests.
- Manages emergencies and crises within milieu utilizing Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) skills. Staff are trained in TCI at Thresholds. Models best practices for crisis intervention. Performs physical management when necessary.
- Keeps the residence neat and clean. Advises Shift Supervisor or Team Leader of any maintenance problems or issues. Creates a safe, clean, interesting, and inviting atmosphere that honors members' diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Assists members with any prescribed medication.
- Maintains proper residential coverage: remains on work site and on-duty until relief coverage is engaged, or until proper coverage is arranged with supervisor approval.
- Provides accurate and timely daily documentation.
- Ensures compliance with Thresholds members’ residential agreements.
- At least 23 years old
- High school diploma or GED certificate and one of the following:
- 5 years of supervised professional experience in the field of social services OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, or related field
- Willingness to work evenings, overnights, and weekends. This role is Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3pm - 11pm and Fridays & Saturdays 11pm - 7am.