Develop, provide leadership and manage plant materials operations so as to achieve optimal levels of safety, quality, productivity and delivery to assure internal and external customer satisfaction.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Company's mission, vision, values and goals in the performance of daily activities.
- Responsible for performance feedback and leadership of all direct reports including mentoring, coaching, counseling and corrective action when situations dictate.
- Provide direction and leadership to department colleagues consistent with plant and department business plan goals.
- Direct materials department process improvements, corrective actions and team problem solving activities.
- Provide active leadership role in meeting / exceeding customer expectations in all related areas.
- Utilize teamwork to develop plant synergy.
- Provide input into quoting and business development activities (ex. pricing, program management, plant capacity, etc.)
- Insure supplier development in cooperation with Purchasing and Quality.
- Oversee department manning levels and assure compliance and improvements to the budget.
- Responsible for ensuring the entire team has the necessary tools and materials to properly perform their roles safely and efficiently.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all levels of the organization.
- Maintain high standards of housekeeping in work area.
- Provide key input into the development of the plant's strategic business plan along with identifying and tracking key measurable to support the business plan goals.
- Develop and drive the development of departmental strategy and goals along with identifying and tracking key measurable to support the goals.
- Responsible for all internal and external material flow to ensure just in time delivery.
- Ensure accountability and discipline within the materials department
- Use company performance metric format to effectively track, monitor and implement required corrective/improvement activities related to business plan, goals, issues, etc.
- Develop, drive and support plant activities toward achieving customer and quality awards (ex. TS 16949, ISO 14001, Q1, etc.).
- Interface with customers and suppliers as appropriate.
- Assist as required in plant activities to achieve quality, productivity and cost reduction goals for the plant and the customer.
- Assure all safety devices are properly in place and utilized, and to verify individual usage of personal protective equipment by the entire work team.
- Comply with all internal and OSHA required safety procedures in the performance of daily activities and hold all direct reports accountable for enforcement.
- Adherence to all company policies and procedures (i.e.; Quality Policy Manual, Colleague Handbook, Level II Procedures, etc.)
Reports directly to the Plant Manager. Interfaces on a frequent basis with Operations, IT, Quality Assurance, Maintenance, Engineering, Toolroom, HR and Accounting, as well as customers, suppliers, corporate functions and peers from other Tower facilities.
- Provides direct leadership and supervises the materials department.
- Ability to identify, select, train and coach management talent.
- Provides model behavior to demonstrate corporate values.
- Bachelor's Degree in Management or Business, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five to seven years experience as a Materials Manager, preferably in a metals environment or equivalent experience.
- APICS certification desirable.
- Possess knowledge of plant department functions and corresponding roles and interact to facilitate overall plant synergy.
- Excellent procedure development and writing skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment.
- Ability to mentor the team in effective problem solving.
- Experience in applying lean manufacturing concepts.
- Proven leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of standard quality practices.
- Ability to interpret financial and performance data.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Vision and ability to translate progressive operating techniques into applications and results.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to read and write in English and perform mathematical calculations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Duties include but are not limited to: stand, walk, twist, bend, lift, see, talk, and hear. Ability to travel. Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration and hazardous materials.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by colleagues assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, qualifications, or working conditions.
This position is located in Chicago, IL. View the Google Map in full screen.