Lean CI Supervisor
Chicago, IL, US
Job ID: 19322
Estimated Travel: 0 - 25%
Contract Type: Permanent
Talent Area: Manufacturing
Ardagh Group is a global leader in glass and metal packaging solutions, producing packaging for the world's leading food, beverage, and consumer care brands.
We believe that the success of our business depends on the success of our people. We strive to create working environments where our employees feel valued, can work to their full potential, and where their achievements are celebrated. We are creating an exciting future for Ardagh that is built on our core values of trust, teamwork and excellence and we have opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines across our organisation.
To drive creation and execution of plant continuous improvement initiatives, delivering short and long-term improvement results for all business objectives, including safety, quality, and productivity. Success is measured by the leader's ability to develop a continuous improvement culture by actively educating and engaging teams to achieve tangible results utilizing structured Lean and Six Sigma tools within the DMAIC method. The position champions the use of continuous improvement and problem-solving tools to meet financial goals. This person is the mentor and change agent for developing a continuous and quality improvement culture across all plant levels and all departments.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Train, coach, support, and lead all levels of the plant in the effective implementation and use of Lean and Six Sigma continuous improvement tools and methods which include:
- Plant Performance Workshops
- Kaizen's, Workshops, Classroom Training
- Continuous Improvement Steering Committees, and Teams
- Audits, and facilitation of audit gap closing plan
- Scorecards: Development, maintenance, reporting, improvement
- Creation and improvements to Standard Work, SOP's, Training materials, etc.
- Project Administration: hopper, selection, mentoring, tracking, reporting, ptracker
- Engaging Team Members and process owners as the primary input source for all plant continuous improvement activities
- Create and maintain continuous improvement culture by developing, implementing, and supporting daily CI methods within all levels and all departments of the plant
- Facilitate the 8D problem solving process on all plant accidents, and safety continuous improvement efforts
- Along with the Plant Manager, responsible for driving and facilitating plant Lean Six Sigma deployment progress and continuous improvement through the plant LSS Tool Champions (5S, TPM, SMED, Six Sigma, Culture) as measured by the LSS Audit.
- Along with LSS Champion and Plant Manager, create an annual, and 3-5 year Plant Continuous Improvement Strategic Plan consistent with the LSS Audit (5S, TPM, SMED, Six Sigma, and Culture). Execute the Continuous Improvement Strategic Plan
- Ensure all projects align with business objectives, and KPI's
- Support and mentor project team leaders and their project teams
- Successfully deliver 2 assigned plant improvement projects per year
- Monthly monitoring, tracking, and reporting progress on all Lean initiatives, and Six Sigma projects
- Closing the trained vs. certified gap for plant Lean and Six Sigma trainees
- Facilitate customer complaint reduction and elimination through 8D and Continuous Improvement meetings with Team Members, Plant Manager, Quality Manager, Production Manager, and Team Leads.
- Facilitate and help lead the Plant Performance Workshops, which supports the plant's business objectives through CI project identification and deployment process
- Mentor plant leadership teams in implementing a focused CI culture that drives waste elimination and a relentless focus on customer needs.
- Challenge the status quo and be a change agent for the business.
- Mentor Plant leadership team members to ensure they possess the skills and capabilities to drive for results, and to ensure that CI / Lean thinking and customer focus is applied to all business decisions
- Ensure Plant has current and future state Value Stream Maps to drive transformation and an enterprise view of waste elimination. Create an annual VSM review.
- Train all levels of leadership teams on CI / Lean tools, processes, systems, and culture.
- Champion productivity efforts and initiatives to achieve budget and targets
- Ensure that standard operating procedures exist to meet both the short term and long-term needs of the business
- Drive, monitor, and support best practice utilization by ensuring department managers and their departments are in alignment with OSG best practices
- Champion best practice / kaizen utilization to assist in meeting Plant and business unit objectives if no OSG best practices exist
- Support and help lead plant production schedule and supply chain optimization, through the elimination of waste, unevenness, and overburden
- Assist with specific and focused projects in the plant/region/business unit where required.
- Utilize the DMAIC to drive manufacturing excellence and continuous improvement in all key processes
- Teach Plant leadership team members how to incorporate CI / Lean tools, processes and systems into their areas of responsibility through coordination of six
- Effectively invest time to coach the organization, direct reports, peers, and plant leadership to have the capability to drive improved employee engagement
- Fully support and assist LSS Champion and LSS TPM Champion in all continuous improvement efforts (Training, Kaizen's, Workshops, Follow-ups, etc.) as requested and required
Direct Reports: None.
- A self-starting, self-motivated, leader with highly developed interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication skills are/is vital to the position
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, with familiarity with statistical analysis (e.g. Minitab)
- Continuous Improvement experience
- Practical knowledge and/or experience of implementing Lean and/or Six Sigma
- Must possess the ability to work and blend well with all levels of the organization and have the ability to influence & persuade key stakeholders, while constructively dealing with conflicts
- Program and project management experience
- Trainer and facilitation experience: classroom, workshop, kaizen, OTJ
- Ability to work and collaborate with others, to consider the needs of all affected groups, and to build/leverage relationships across functions and within the organization to achieve business results. Decisive yet collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to travel up to 20% is required
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Associate Degree or Technical Apprenticeship Certification; Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Business Management preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years of Manufacturing required
- Lean and/or Six Sigma Green Belt certification required
- Experience leading and managing Plant SQF, ISO and Environmental programs preferred
- Strong PowerPoint, Word, Excel skills
Our Vision and Values
The people that make up Ardagh Group share much more than a strong brand and an excellent reputation. We each share a common vision: to be the preferred packaging partner to the world's leading brands. We will achieve our vision by delivering customer innovation, providing an inspirational environment for our people and creating sustainable value for our business through its growth and development.
Ardagh Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For more information on Ardagh Group, visit www.ardaghgroup.com.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago