Requisition Number: COMME01385
Hastings Mutual is currently looking for a Commercial Field Underwriting Specialist to join our Commercial Underwriting Team. The individual in this role generates new commercial business, as a complement to the internal underwriting staff, by acceptance or rejection of commercial insurance risks based on Hastings Mutual product and coverage guidelines. In addition, they maintain commercial business written to ensure profitability and growth.
Position Schedule & Location Details
This position will provide Commercial Underwriting services to our agents and policyholders across a territory spanning Northern Illinois and Wisconsin. Candidates must reside in this area for consideration. Reporting to the Commercial Field Underwriting Manager, this position will generally work within our standard office hours of Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm ET. A field-based position, this role will travel regularly throughout the territory to engage with our agents and policyholders (typically same-day travel). A company vehicle, cell-phone, and laptop will be provided.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews, approves, and processes applications that are acceptable in relation to underwriting guidelines to achieve corporate premium and profitability objectives, while operating within established service standards.
- Stays up-to-date and knowledgeable of all commercial products, pricing, and coverages.
- Interprets and understands authority levels, guidelines, and underwriting resource materials to achieve quality metrics.
- Effectively and efficiently communicates and negotiates with external contacts including agency staff, policyholders, external vendors, and HMIC business units.
- Trains and supports team members to achieve corporate and professional goals.
- Acts as a technical resource which may include work on special projects.
- Organizes, monitors, and reviews the training of departmental peers including new employees, underwriting trainees, and underwriting technicians.
- Provides input on the formal review process of team members’ performance.
- Participates in departmental audits or other projects as directed by the management team.
- Monitors compliance with manual rules and current underwriting directives/guidelines regarding risk selection and pricing.
- Refers reports to appropriate Commercial Lines Manager.
- Delivers coverage interpretation for Claim referrals.
- Provides insight and input into product pricing in partnership with Product Development.
- Utilizes various systems and resources to support overall corporate objectives.
- Actively participates in professional development, i.e. continuing education or self-improvement.
- Other duties as assigned by leadership, either verbally or in writing.
Candidate Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Insurance, Business Administration, or Finance preferred, or equivalent work experience and education.
- Five to eight years of successful commercial lines underwriting experience, including experience participating in growth and development with new agency relationships.
- Associate in Underwriting (AU) or Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designations preferred.
- Demonstrated PC skills including proficient use of Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication ability required.
- Strong organizational skills and self-motivation with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and adhere to Hastings Mutual’s Company Fleet Safety Guidelines.
Our Commitment as an Employer
We value the strength of a diverse and inclusive workforce. Hastings Mutual is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and candidates in a work environment that does not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. Decisions related to employment are based on business needs, position requirements, and individual characteristics without regard to appearance, nationality, origin, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, body, disability, veteran, family, marital status, or any legally protected class.
Hastings Mutual seeks to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled individuals in the hiring process in compliance with federal, state, and local law. Candidates requiring accommodation to complete their job application or participate in the interviewing process are asked to notify the Talent Acquisition Specialist or contact us at 800-442-8277.
About Hastings Mutual Insurance Company
From our humble roots in 1885 providing coverage for windstorm damage, Hastings Mutual has evolved into a leading regional property and casualty insurance carrier, offering innovative products for businesses, farm owners, and individuals. We work with customers in six Midwestern states (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin). Hastings Mutual is known for its financial strength, high ethical standards, and a culture of service and responsiveness.
The core of our ongoing success is our employees. Whether at the corporate offices in Hastings, Michigan, the information technology office in Alpharetta, Georgia to our remote team members throughout the Midwest, Hastings Mutual is made up of talented professionals across multiple divisions and functional areas. Our commitment to our employees and work culture has been confirmed with our inclusion in the “Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in West Michigan” each year since 2011.
Hastings Mutual offers a friendly, family-like environment that values transparency and approachability. We recognize the hard work of our employees with many benefits, including fully paid certification training, a cafeteria, and fitness center at our corporate offices, ongoing professional development opportunities, and financial stability backed by our “A” rating from A.M. Best. We also have a long-term commitment to the communities in which we live and work, either through partnerships with local charitable organizations or through our own Hastings Mutual Charitable Foundation.
At Hastings Mutual, we’re always looking for professionals of all experience and education levels to help us continue our more than 130-year history of successful, stable growth.