CLERK V- ELECTIONS
OFFICE OF THE COOK COUNTY CLERK
NOTICE OF JOB OPPORTUNITY
CLERK V- County Clerk/Sheriff
Reference ID: VR-00001
Posting Date: September 18, 2023
Closing Date: October 1, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
Shift Start Time: 9:00 A.M.
Shift End Time: 5:00 P.M.
Location: 118 N Clark Street
Salary Range: $50,022
Job Code: 4843
Union: SEIU 73
Shakman Status: Non-Exempt
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Application Process: Internal/External
The Clerk V which serves as Election Clerk in the Election Division, reports directly to Election Supervisor and is responsible for the election day assignments of election judges for assigned Cook County suburban townships for each election cycle. The Election Clerk duties also will include data entry and quality control of petitions, voter registration, candidate filing and records examination.
Essential Job Duties
- Support customer service in the processing of in-person and telephonic customer inquiries.
- Receiving and processing candidate filings, objections to nomination petitions and other elections-specific filings.
- Assigns election judges for election day and nursing homes.
- Assures the assigned suburban townships are staffed with trained election judges.
- Communicates with assigned township committee people and election judges via phone and email.
- Works with township committeeperson and other community groups to recruit election judges.
- Maintains internal database of trained and active township election judge(s) for their assigned townships.
- Attends election judge recruitment events and training events for assigned townships as directed by Judges Unit Supervisor.
- Performs data entry of voter registration, records examinations, candidate petitions, polling place assignments and mail voting applications.
- Performs quality control tasks, voter registration events, and petition review.
- Conducts record examinations.
- Coordinates assignment of polling places.
- Communicates with Early Voting facilities and Early Voting Judges to maintain all Early Voting activities.
This list represents the essential tasks performed by the Position. Employees may be assigned additional Position-related duties by management as required.
- High School Diploma or a General Education Development (G.E.D.)
- Two (2) years work of elections related work experience with a governmental agency that conducts elections.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Resume and application must clearly indicate duration of, and nature of work experience and education for consideration in accordance with specific Minimum and Preferred Qualifications. If your resume and application do not reflect that you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the Position, you will not be eligible for this Position. Candidates will be required to provide proof of educational credential and any applicable certifications listed above at time of interview.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the election process including a basic understanding of working in accordance with statutory guidelines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Ability to resolve conflicts or problems with minimal supervision.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service, including always maintaining a professional demeanor while communicating with township committeepersons and election judges.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to work well as part of a creative and problem-solving team.
- Ability to manage frequent incoming and outgoing telephone calls.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize for optimum results.
- Ability to work under pressure while multi-tasking and be able to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work overtime including evenings, weekends, and holidays during the election cycle.
- May have to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- May be required to frequently bend or stoop.
- May be required to lift or carry up to 30 lbs.
The Cook County Clerk’s Office does not hire for Non-Exempt Positions
based on Political Reasons or Factors.
“METHOD OF APPLICATION: Apply online at https://cookcountyclerksofficetojob.com/apply. Online submission will close at 11:59 on October 1, 2023.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
COOK COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER