Senior Specialist, Technology Delivery - 509664
Organization: Information Technology
Department: Infrastructure Delivery
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee or Knoxville, Tennessee
Posting Open: 12/3/2019
Posting Closing: 12/12/2019 at 11:59pm EST
Senior Specialist, Technology Delivery will report to an Infrastructure Delivery team manager. Key job responsibilities include defining technology solutions and overseeing technology delivery initiatives, ongoing maintenance and support of technology solutions.
Oversees technology capability delivery initiatives, systems, solutions, projects, programs, or vendors which may cross organizational boundaries to assure that deliverables are managed, initiated and completed on schedule, within budget, and that the solutions integrate into TVA Enterprise infrastructure, architecture, and process standards. This position oversees the specification, design, implementation, on-going maintenance, support and coordination of enterprise-wide, as well as, capability-specific efforts, ensuring new solutions are integrated with other systems/processes in order to support critical business functions within the agency or for external clients. Responsible for managing the implementation of projects or program deliverables to both internal and external clients and for the stability and success of strategic enterprise IT programs and projects. This position also acts as a liaison to provide effective communication across TVA organizations and work groups.
Budget Responsibility — Budget responsibility for approved IT projects up to $40M.
- Understands and articulates the mission, vision, goals, strategic and tactical initiatives of IT. Works with IT Strategy & Engagement to translate the business capability needs and requirements into comprehensive integrated technology strategy and roadmap.
- Supervise the management of full stack technology systems, solutions, projects, programs, or vendors which have impact on strategic business processes and capabilities; exercise necessary decision-making authority to turn agreed-upon direction into action.
- Create and maintain strong partnerships and effective communication across all IT business units including strategy/engagement, vendor and portfolio management, and cybersecurity to offer technical input to capability technology roadmaps and to ensure synergy and consistency across solutions.
- Manage the overall progress of initiatives including active tracking to ensure completion of action items and develop mitigation steps to address risks before they become issues; drive timely resolution of issues and appropriate escalations to avoid negative effects to program schedule and solution commitments.
- Manage daily implementation of assigned programs by establishing schedules, tracking progress, and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, external vendors, and contractors in building and optimizing systems, tools, and standards to improve workflow and efficiency within the organization.
- Coordinate and oversee ongoing maintenance of implemented software products/capabilities with a full-stack perspective; ensure that the team has a well-defined backlog of valuable work and remove obstacles and roadblocks that impact performance of the team.
- In conjunction with IT Vendor Management & Origination, manage ongoing vendor and contractual performance to accomplish system, solution, program, project, and/or maintenance initiatives and activities based on a managed task discipline.
- Conduct meetings with internal/external customers to differentiate between functional and technical requirements in order to support strategy and engagement in enlisting business unit functional expertise to successfully define and solidify functional solution requirements; oversee development of technical requirements based on functional requirements.
- Develop detailed program plans necessary to ensure program success, accountability and minimizing risk to the agency, distributors, TVA customers and the public.
- Oversees detailed business and financial analyses and models to facilitate decision-making, program accountability and drive results.
- Communicate program status to management and executives on a regular basis in both formal and informal environments.
- Develops/manages the budget & labor necessary to implement/maintain program, project, or vendor initiatives; participate in obtaining budgetary funding/resources for program initiatives; responsible for ongoing forecast and budget maintenance
- Represent TVA to external customers, vendors, and contractors; ensure achievement of program/project goals with relation to contractual commitments within specified cost and schedule parameters.
- Manages program and technology initiatives to balance business needs against the ability to deliver in order to consistently define and deliver against program schedule feature and cost goals.
- Act as liaison to provide effective communication between customer, project leader, corporation organizations, and outside contractors/vendors and understand the correct personnel to get involved with decisions around solutions for the enterprise.
- Stay abreast of and seek ways to implement emerging technologies, architectures, industry trends and project/program management methodologies.
- Write statements of work (SOW) for Development and Operations work regardless of the delivery method (sourced, internally delivered, or hybrid).
- Support effective estimating at the beginning of work identification as well as during the lifecycle of the solution.
- Negotiate between stakeholders to identify the best solution for the enterprise and explain the benefits to TVA as a whole versus optimizing for one business unit over another.
- Identify, lead and/or support process improvement initiatives both within the IT delivery organization as well as the business units themselves.
Education. – A Bachelor's Degree in business, engineering, computer science or comparable field of study; or equivalent education, training & experience.
Experience. – 10+ years of experience in information technology, business, or related field in managing initiatives for projects, programs or technology environments desired. Demonstrated knowledge of transformation impact, change management, and business metrics.
Certification/License, etc. — Certified Associate in Project Management Certification Desired, SAFe Certification Desired
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities —Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation. Strong collaborative and assertive leadership skills. Excellent analytical and technical skills. Effectively manage scope for projects. Ability to think strategically while managing tactical details. Innovative thinker. Ability to effectively estimate what it takes to get work done (i.e., resourcing the work). Understands or can quickly understand business processes (outside of IT). Strong communication skills, written and verbal. Understands the importance of quality assurance within IT. Must have a solid understanding of both TVA's and TVA IT's strategy. Must be able and willing to travel to plant, corporate and satellite locations as needed. Candidate may be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance based on position / access requirements and essential job functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
TVA values and embraces diversity. We encourage all individuals to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status and age. We strive to be inclusive of all the people we serve across the Valley.
TVA is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. Any applicant or employee who believes s/he has a discrimination claim (including harassment or retaliation) must contact TVA's Equal Opportunity Compliance office within 45 calendar days of the event or action s/he believes to constitute discrimination, harassment, or retaliation.
All TVA Non-Nuclear employees are covered by TVA's Federal Drug-Free Workplace Program Plan, in accordance with Executive Order 12564, Public Law 100-71 and the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing. Information regarding the Drug Free Workplace Program can be found at www.samhsa.gov/workplace. TVA Non-Nuclear employees in Testing Designated Positions, including those performing safety-sensitive duties are also subject to random drug testing. TVA Nuclear employees are subject to random alcohol and drug tests in accordance with 10 CFR Part 26 as mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
How to Claim Vet Preference
If you are a U.S. Military Veteran and would like to be considered a preference-eligible veteran for the purposes of your employment application to TVA, please take the necessary actions outlined in the application process. Please submit your military documents each time you apply for a position.
How to Submit Documentation:
1) Upload documents after you complete the application by clicking Careers Home, Cover Letters and Attachments, and Add Attachment, or
2) Email documents to Veteran@tva.gov