Market Range: 08
Hiring Range: $18.51-$22.21/Hourly
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE.
Job Summary/Essential Job Functions: Under the direction of the Chair of Orthopedics, this position oversees research for the UTCOM Chattanooga Department of Orthopedic Surgery. Involved in every phase of research, this position assists with study design, feasibility and planning, grant proposals/budget, IRB/HIPAA documentation and compliance, implementation and maintenance, human subjects screening/intervention, data collection, data analysis and interpretation, and scientific editing of manuscripts. Meets with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and presents information regarding projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in the research design/proposal, assists investigators develop protocols, and communicates with study investigators, clinical/academic entities, Scientific Review Committee/IRB, etc.
- Oversees screening, enrolling, explanation of the research process to patients involved, collection of patient data and follow-up.
- Speaks with Principal Investigators/IRB; builds/formats statistical analysis databases; and follows FDA regulations/ethical treatment of humans and HIPAA regulations.
- Consults with statisticians to analyze/interpret basic statistical data.
- Assists write/edit/format abstracts and presentations; prepares manuscripts for presentation/peer-reviewed journal publication; and devises grant-funded studies status reports.
- Plans and implements surgical training labs for resident education.
- Oversees daily operations of a surgical skills/arthroscopy “wet” lab.
- Orders, receives, cares, handles, and disposes of cadaveric specimens.
- Orders supplies and maintains, sanitizes, and secures lab supplies and surgical equipment.
- Communicates regularly with industry representatives and vendors.
- Ensures the appropriate set-up/clean-up of labs.
- Implements and adheres to appropriate infection prevention, biohazard, and safety measures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION:Bachelors Degree in health orhealth-related field of study. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE:One (1) year of research-related experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, andexperience. (Medical/scientificwriting experience is preferred).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ANDABILITIES:
- Knowledge and ability of research methodology (theory, design, intervention), including epidemiology and biostatistics.
- Skill in selection, administration, and analysis of validated measures, as well as the creation of study-specific measures.
- Skill in abstracting and recording data from medical records.
- Ability to format spreadsheets for statistical analysis, as well as utilizing statistical software.
- Knowledge of medical/scientific writing and the peer-reviewed publication process.
- Facility with Microsoft Word, End-note, or similar manuscript reference organization software for formatting bibliography.
- Ability to request artwork permissions from publishers, and familiarity with journal requirements related to manuscript submission.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills needed including management of research documents and databases.
- Ability to appropriately prepare manuscripts for publication with reference management such as Endnote.
- Skill in logistical organization of people and institutional entities to meet research goals.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position may be occasionallyrequired to work evenings and weekends. May require occasional overnight travel.