The Packaging Machine Operator, under the general supervision, is responsible for the safe, efficient and continuous operation of snack packaging machinery.
Essential Job Duties
- Maintains shift documentation (i.e., Metal Detector and Batch Order Verifications)
- Reads production schedule and plans accordingly.
- Reads and interprets schedule in MicroStrategy.
- Able to print labels on different printers, choosing correct program for each printer; move eye and clean printers.
- Perform nitrogen testing.
- Efficiently maintains the operation of packaging machinery by monitoring codes, dates and prices.
- Maintains an adequate supply of roll stock and ensures all packaging materials are available for each machine.
- Set up and write new programs for bag makers.
- Writes and/or edits machine micro logic as needed to maintain an efficient and low waste operation.
- Creating and modifying code dates.
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment. Sets up and makes minor scale repairs and adjustments.
- Perform span calibration and/or adjustments on scales, adjust scales linkages so it opens and shuts correctly, make minor adjustments to formers.
- Efficiently operates packaging equipment which may include case sealers and robot cells. This includes but is not limited to: machine setups, troubleshooting, changeovers, proper running, procedural adjustments, sanitation cleanup, preventative maintenance and shutdown.
- Properly plans ahead for machine changeovers and efficiently changing from one product item to another.
- Monitors and adjusts each machine to ensure proper cut off of film and bags have proper end seals and back seals as required.
- Ensures machines are running at standard speeds.
- Monitors product appearance and adheres to weight control program.
- Identifies and resolves packaged product quality issues.
- Properly accounts for product run off and handles this product accordingly; sorts through and reworks all good product
- Keeps machines and work areas clean, wipes packaging machines off and blows down area when required to do so.
- Immediately reports any maintenance problems to appropriate technician and/or supervisor.
- Practices and adheres to appropriate safety and hygiene guidelines/procedures for safe housekeeping and personal protection.
- Stores supplies in designated areas.
- Keeps work area aisles/exits clear and free from obstruction; removes trash from work area floor.
- Follows instructions for safe lifting/carrying of various sizes, shapes and weights; identifies/reports issues with equipment; reports all job-related injuries to supervision.
- May maintain shift documentation (i.e., Metal Detector and Batch Order Verifications).
- May provide leadership and direction to packers.
- May be qualified to perform as Back-up Packaging Coordinator, or other technical/skilled position.
- If applicable, may monitor and replenish seasoning on overhead to ensure proper seasoning coverage on product.
- Mandatory overtime may be required.
- May perform other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Candidate must be comfortable communicating to team members and management staff.
- Candidate will be trained and must be able to perform all job functions within the department at any given time.
- Prerequisite: Complete training and any applicable examinations.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Professional Licenses or Certifications
Lock/out tag/out certified or become certified within three months.
Minimal travel may be required.