The Dock Supervisor will manage activities of the Dockworkers. Lead teams and utilize available resources such as manpower and equipment to move freight in the safest and most cost effective manner to meet or exceed customer expectations and to achieve service center and company goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicates company safety program enforces safety rules and compliance with all government regulations. Maintain a safe work environment at all times.
- Interact daily with internal and external customers to deliver exceptional customer service to meet and exceed customer expectations and provide on-time and quality delivery of freight.
- Collaborate with interdepartmental teams and other functions to achieve work objectives and ensure seamless movement of freight.
- Supervise and direct all activities of dockworkers and other support staff engaged in the loading and unloading of freight.
- Prepare and plan daily utilization of resources to ensure a consistent and efficient operation.
- Conduct effective employee pre-shift meetings.
- Supervise and observe the loading of trucks to determine conformance to loading patterns to prevent damage to freight during transit and that the safe operation of the truck will not be jeopardized.
- Utilize independent judgment and effectively recommend personnel actions in accordance with company policy, procedures and contractual language.
- Completes necessary paperwork/data input accurately and in a timely manner to ensure an efficient and steady flow of information.
- Manage work assignments, monitor performance and provide training on duties, policies and procedures.
- Utilize work method programs for training and education to motivate employees to improve performance and quality of work.
- Communicate clear performance expectations to ensure high-performance work environment and proactively provide specific, balanced and timely coaching/feedback to reinforce and encourage high performance and promote a culture of teamwork.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA).
- Interact with facility Office & Yard Operations, along with clerical personnel, to properly service customer shipments in a timely/cost effective fashion.
- High Levels of Integrity and Trust - Adheres to moral, ethical, and professional standards, regulations, and organizational policies; keeps commitments to promised actions.
- Composed in Extreme Pressure Situations - Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Prioritizes Key Tasks - Identifies more critical and less critical activities and tasks; adjusts priorities when appropriate.
- Focused on Customers - Ensuring that the internal or external customer’s perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
- Effective Planner - Plans work for team and self to create efficiencies.
- Great at Motivating Others - Motivating increased employee effort by communicating a compelling view of the organization’s purpose and its future state in a way that helps others understand the importance of their contributions and feel how outcomes will be different when progress is achieved.
- Effective Time Management - Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Perseveres Through Difficult Times - Demonstrates an understanding of own emotional triggers, strengths, and development needs as well as the impact of own behavior on others.
- Highly Effective Communication Skills - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Skilled Problem Solver - Has operational capacity that allows an understanding and ability to work through the challenges of the position.
- Goal Oriented - ambitious in nature, working to better the team as a whole by exceeding key metrics.
- Delegates Effectively - Identifying and leveraging opportunities to accelerate results and build capability by assigning tasks and decision-making responsibilities to individuals or teams with clear boundaries, expectations, support, and follow-up.
- Develops Subordinates - Planning and supporting the development of individuals’ knowledge, skills, and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job responsibilities more effectively.
- Action Oriented - Ability to learn quickly and apply learning when decisions need to be made and work is being accomplished.
- Competitive pay based on experience
- Employee selected medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
- PTO and paid holidays
- 401k Retirement Plan
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Effective organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated Leadership and supervisory capabilities.
- Must be flexible, willing to work any schedule, including weekends and holidays, in all types of weather.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation, business or related area.
- Knowledge of local applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Proven knowledge of computer applications (MS office).
- Experience in the transportation industry with deep knowledge of operations and logistics.
Environmental working conditions vary and employee may encounter vibration, noise, odors, and extremes in temperature and wind as well as exposure to varied weather, varied surfaces, sharp edges, varied lighting and confined and congested areas and occasionally exposure to petroleum-based products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, oil, and grease.
The position requires the ability to stand, walk, and maintain balance for extensive periods of time. Occasionally sit. Ability to perform repetitive tasks such as typing and keying. Continually speaking and hearing, giving and receiving directions. Occasional lifting, pushing/pulling, carrying 10 lbs of supplies and materials is required.
Yellow Corporation, along with all subsidiary companies, are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer