Operates MedCenter Air's Flight Communications Center in a safe and efficient manner. Handles requests for helicopter, fixed wing, or ground services from outside hospitals, physicians, and EMS agencies. Dispatches appropriate aircraft or ground unit and maintains communication throughout the mission for tracking, patient reports, and navigational assistance. Coordinates in a timely manner all aspects of the mission and monitors the location of all transport units at all times while maintaining safety as a priority.
- Operates all radios, computer systems, and other equipment associated with MedCenter Air.
- Possesses knowledge of range, capabilities and limitations of aircraft and vehicles.
- Ensures the most appropriate mode of transport and vehicle is assigned to each request.
- Coordinates in a timely manner all aspects of the mission and monitors the location of all transport units at all times while maintaining safety as a priority.
- Collects and maintains accurate records of information; including pre and post-transport patient documentation and transport records.
- Confirms prescheduled transports on day of transport.
- Demonstrates appropriate management and cost effective use of supplies and equipment.
- Submits department changes and credits in a timely manner.
Majority of duties performed in an indoor office with limited access to visitors. Working conditions can change rapidly from light office work to fast paced high stress environment requiring multiple tasks in a short time frame. Noise level varies from quiet to moderately loud. Requires long periods of sitting, operating computer, and answering phones. Ability to function well in high stress situations with limited assistance. Must be able to make rapid, appropriate decisions that assures the safety of the flight crew and patient. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Light lifting may be required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School Diploma or GED required; Associates Degree preferred. Current certification as EMD or EMT. EMT-P certification preferred. NAACS Certified Flight Communicator (CFC) certification must be obtained within one year of hire and must be maintained throughout employment. 2 years of previous EMS/Fire/Law Enforcement/Critical Care dispatching experience preferred. 1 year previous flight coordination (Rotor and/or Fixed Wing) experience preferred.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Atrium Health is an EOE/AA Employer
Nearest Major Market: Charlotte
Job Segment: Communications, Medical, ICU, Marketing, Healthcare, Part Time