Job Req ID: 280901
Position Number: 00170229
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift: Variable/On Call
Shift Details: Monday-Friday with Saturday rotation.
Standard Hours: 40.00
Department Name: Lab-Reference
Location: Carolinas Medical Center
Location Details: Float position that includes work sites in University/Huntersville/Concord
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit carolinashealthcare.org/AtriumHealth
Obtains and processes laboratory specimens, serves as a laboratory office clerk and performs minor laboratory testing. Assists with registration, and order entry.
- Perform phlebotomy through venous and capillary puncture following established procedures in accordance with age specific considerations of patients.
- Complete required daily procedures and checks. Maintains knowledge of specimen collection devices and tubes.
- Explains procedure to patient and documents patient education as appropriate for testing.
- Maintains equipment, keeps area clean, stocks supplies and keeps work space organized.
- Completes required daily procedures and performs checks including pending logs, maintenance, inventory management and temperature checks are performed as scheduled. Ensures documentation is concise and complete. Notices discrepancies and follows through appropriately by reporting to immediate supervisor.
- Follows general safety procedures and utilizes PPE appropriately.
Works in busy environment with moderate lifting, pulling, pushing and frequently carrying up to 25 pounds, and infrequently in excess of 25 pounds with assistance. Frequent walking, standing, stooping, and reaching. Use of computer for long periods of time. Exposure to chemicals, pathogens, and patient blood and body fluids. Some latex exposure may be expected. Low doses of constantly monitored radioactivity may occur.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High school Diploma or GED required. Certification as laboratory assistant, phlebotomist, or medical assistant preferred. Must demonstrate knowledge of infectious disease protocols, practices, and prevention. Moderate knowledge of medical terminology and computer applications required. Ability to understand instructions, read, and make judgments.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Atrium Health is an EOE/AA Employer