Requisition Number: HUMAN02221
The Human Resource Generalist I serves a consultative role for the Academic Leadership Team and faculty on human resources (HR) related issues. This position works closely with senior HR leadership in supporting the university and carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: general HR administration, employee relations, training, performance management, recruiting and onboarding, employee events, policy implementation, and employment law compliance. The Human Resource Generalist I interacts with all team members, deans, directors, and faculty in carrying out the daily operations of the department. The incumbent is also responsible for special projects within the department, including faculty credentialing for existing faculty.
- Maintains high degree of confidentiality when dealing with faculty, applicants and employee matters relative to the HR function.
- Provides customer service and updates to candidates, faculty, the Faculty HR & Administration Team, managers and vendors responding to emails and phone calls within 24 – 48 hours.
- Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- Assists HR leadership with managing and resolving simple to moderate employee relations issues.
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to directors for faculty (coaching, counseling, disciplinary actions).
- Works closely with directors and faculty to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Supports unemployment claims, verifications, protected leave, and background investigation processes and prepares necessary information to support the university.
- Supports faculty and director inactivation, transitions and transfers; retrieves equipment from remote directors upon inactivation or transition.
- Oversees distribution of counseling documentation, information, and acknowledgement processes to faculty.
- Assists with acknowledgement processes and ensures documentation is uploaded into employee file.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with the legal department as needed/required.
- Participates in developing and carrying out department goals and objectives.
- Researches and verifies licenses and certifications for existing faculty.
- Collaborates with various departments to support University initiatives including scheduling, graduate studies, and academic affairs.
- Receives transcripts electronically and via USPS; communicates with other departments to ensure distribution of unmatched transcripts.
- Performs data entry into the faculty activity tracking system to support accreditation needs.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Infrequent travel may be necessary.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Extensive use of keyboard.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of human resources.
- Proactive, flexible, and comfortable in a fast-paced, changing environment, which demands a high level of energy and commitment.
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently with limited supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; presentation; and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization, external candidates, and vendors in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Well-developed team skills, unquestioned integrity, and the experience, confidence and presence too effectively handle interpersonal relationships and sensitive HR issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize various software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, and presentations.
- Proficiency with MS Office products.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in human resources or a related field required.
- SHRM or HRCI Human Resources certification strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years human resource generalist or employee relations experience preferred.
- Professional experience in an academic environment preferred.
- Experience managing simple to moderate personnel issues preferred