Horizon Hobby, LLC is hiring a Compliance Engineer. This position is responsible for researching and analyzing technical regulatory requirements for hobby radio systems as well as other Radio-Controlled (RC) model products and ensuring adherence to those requirements. The Compliance Engineer will also be responsible for educating internal and external stakeholders about applicable regulatory requirements and advocating on behalf of Horizon Hobby with relevant regulatory bodies.
- Research the applicable technical regulations in all key global markets where the company's products are sold including primarily the Americas and Europe but also Australia and other specific countries.
- Identify variances and commonality across jurisdictions to develop the appropriate, compliance technical requirements and test plans for Horizon Hobby's radio systems, accessories and other RC model products.
- Work as an integral part of the product development team to ensure that all new, proprietary product designs meet the applicable technical compliance regulations.
- Audit product test plans and production processes to ensure compliance. The position serves as the lead contact between Horizon Hobby and the contracted testing labs and/or certification bodies.
- Communicate with Horizon Hobby's global distributors about the compliance status of products, maintaining and administering the required technical data files.
- Monitor technical regulatory trends in key markets, identifying opportunities to positively influence industry bodies and to notify product developers of new regulatory requirements.
- Translate compliance issues into business parameters communicating their impacts to executives and functional stakeholders.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent academic discipline)
- 2 to 5 five years of engineering experience with a focus on testing and/or compliance
- Working knowledge of analog, digital and RF systems
- Working knowledge of consumer product compliance standards particularly with respect to power output levels, allowable frequencies, and safety standards
- Experience in technical regulatory research and analysis
- Broad exposure to product design and production processes
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to understand, assess and communicate the impact of compliance issues in terms of key business factors
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize activities in a manner that prevents or minimizes development delays related to compliance issues
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) periodically