It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Verizon Media employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in? As Verizon's media unit, our brands like Yahoo, TechCrunch and HuffPost help people stay informed and entertained, communicate and transact, while creating new ways for advertisers and partners to connect. With technologies like XR, AI, machine-learning, and 5G, we're transforming media for tomorrow, too. We're creators and coders, dreamers and doers creating what's next in content, advertising and technology.
We're looking for world-class, fun-loving engineering students to spend a bit of time with our team in Champaign, Illinois where you will have the opportunity to help us develop high speed advertising data solutions from data collection to large scale data manipulation to long term data storage and low-latency retrieval, reporting, and analytical systems.
We are looking for students who want to gain experience by helping us to analyze requirements; investigate optimal software solutions; architect, design, implement and test those solutions; and support our globally deployed data collection and handling software.
You will spend your days doing things like:
- Working through documents and conversations with colleagues to understand product requirements for new features
- Shaping those requirements into design documents and software implementation
- Testing and debugging both your own software and some written by others
- Analyzing and refactoring existing software to enhance its reliability, performance, supportability, and operability
- Playing with your friends in some of our local games and contests, from trivia to table tennis, puzzle building, escape rooms and more.
- Helping your team figure out priorities and processes and what's next
You Must Have
- A solid Computer Science foundation in data structures and algorithms, object oriented programming, and modern software engineering practices from your ongoing pursuit of a degree in CS or a similar engineering program.
- The ability to use an object-oriented programming language like Java or C++, scripting languages like Python or Perl, and Unix or Linux systems.
- Excellent design, coding, debugging and testing skills
- The expertise to manipulate data through query languages
- Facility with data concepts such as joins, aggregation, projection, and explosion
- The ability to work with large-scale distributed systems
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- Great team-working capabilities in an agile development environment
- Willingness to engage productively with others in the industry through the mechanisms of open source software
- The passion to build great products, work with great people and change the world
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.