Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second largest domain wholesaler in the world with 25 million domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
Also, there are no casual Fridays at Tucows. It is casual every day at Tucows. We embrace a casual and comfortable work environment, with an awesome work from home policy to boot.
About the opportunity:
A key contributor to the team providing network and cloud infrastructure services to the various Tucows business verticals. Responsibilities include Data Center and Central Offices growth and capacity planning, disaster recovery analysis, infrastructure component maintenance, lifecycle replacement, and planned and unplanned event management. This includes planning and optimizing services for efficient space and power utilization, which requires detailed knowledge and experiences of cooling, power distribution units, physical network connectivity and wiring techniques, racks and cabinets, all used in enterprise/ provider grade data centers.
The candidate requires a strong knowledge of physical facility infrastructure and how it relates to networking, servers/storage, and other data center network & computing components. Ideal candidates have to be well organized and technically advanced with a high level of experience related to data center infrastructure and operations in enterprise environments.
This individual must be able to independently manage their work, create and maintain relevant technical documentation, effectively troubleshoot complex systems and interact with vendors, contractors and on-site technicians.
What you’ll be doing:
- Implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all physical Data Center and Fiber Central Offices infrastructure systems. This includes cooling, power, fire suppression, security, physical wiring and racking systems.
- Maintain Power & Cooling fault-tolerant and high-availability solutions - 24x7 system uptime
- Responsible for the accurate inventory of all physical infrastructure systems, core and distribution network systems, computing and storage systems plus all related replacement parts used across the entire Tucows infrastructure
- Coordinate with on-site technicians the receiving, installation and maintenance of network, computing and storage systems
- Coordinate with network engineers, vendor management team and vendors the installation/ decommissioning of network circuits
- Coordinate with vendors, contractors and on-site technicians the execution of periodic maintenance operations on cooling and power infrastructure.
- Develop detailed data center standards and associated documentation including diagrams and work instructions
- Develop and execute detailed data center relocation, consolidation and expansion project plans
- Proactive capacity planning and resource management; data trending and infrastructure resource utilization monitoring (cooling, power and rack space)
- Effectively participate and collaborate with cross-functional teams including project managers, IaaS and Network engineers, on-site technicians and contractors.
- Document, maintain and improve processes in alignment with best practices – infrastructure incident reporting/resolution, troubleshooting, change management
What’s in it for you:
We know it’s a competitive environment for hiring talent, that’s why we strive to offer more than just a collection of benefits (although, we do offer an impressive collection, if we may say so ourselves!).
We offer an annual learning fund, the opportunity to attend various conferences all over North America and the ability to grow in the organization. Internal promotions happen routinely and you will find collective support in helping you achieve your career goals.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and diverse points of view that drive us forward every day.