Senior Data Architect
As the industry leader in compensation data and technology, PayScale helps organizations #getpayright. PayScale is the only technology solution for managing compensation that provides multiple streams of fresh, transparently curated and validated salary data. Combined with modeling engines that learn continuously and generate recommendations and insight, PayScale empowers HR to price jobs and adjust compensation to reflect real-time changes in the market — all on one trusted data platform. With PayScale’s Adaptive Compensation Advantage, teams operate with efficiency, focused on outcomes rather than manual data management. To learn how companies like The Washington Post, Perry Ellis International, United Healthcare and The New York Times rely on PayScale to attract and retain top talent, motivate and engage employees and plan their future workforce, visit payscale.com
What We Do: The PayScale Architecture team is responsible for establishing the framework and patterns upon which the product engineering and platform engineering teams deliver the PayScale SaaS products. This hands-on team regularly executes by delivery of POCs
and also shipping of production code. The team works directly with our Product Engineering teams to coach and mentor the engineers in best practices to deliver software that meets our high engineering standards.
What You Do: In this role you will work with our Software and Platform Architects to help define our larger data ecosystem as we continue our journey to an event driven microservices architecture. You will be responsible for advising our team on how best to utilize various data sources and technologies for our SaaS platform.
Technologies we are currently using include: Apache Kafka, Relational Databases (SQL), noSQL, Data Warehouses, caches, and indexes.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Senior Data Architect, a typical day may include
- Whiteboarding data solutions with engineering teams
- Building POCs to validate new technologies for the PayScale platform
- Acting as mentor and guru to team members on all data related topics
- Debugging and evolving the overall data architecture, looking for ways to continuously improve our systems around ingest, modeling, data delivery APIs, transactions, events, warehousing, and reporting.
- Defining new data aggregates to aid our Dev teams in Domain Driven Design and Event Driven Microservices Architecture
- Advising from the data perspective in strategy, planning, design and
- architecture sessions
- Partnering with stakeholders, data science, product, and engineering teams to build highly available, performant, and scalable data ecosystems
- 5+ years of experience in IT or Engineering, with a history of data-focused roles
- 2+ years as a Data Architect, Principal Data Engineer, or senior Data positions in a data-driven organization
- Demonstrated experience in design and implementation of a multi-data source information ecosystem in a B2B SaaS or B2C organization
- RDBs (SQL Server, Postgres) and noSQL (Mongo) ElasticCache and Kibana
- Building data solutions on Cloud IaaS and PaaS (Azure, AWS, GCP) Containerization strategies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Event Streaming Architectures (Apache Kafka)
Nice to have:
- Data Warehouse (Snowflake)
- API Tools (FastAPI), ETLs and ELTs (eg FiveTran) Python Data Science (pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SpaCy)
- Data Science Tools: (R., TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Reporting Tools (Tableau, Spark)
- Hadoop, Cassandra and Pig, MapReduce and HBase
- Knowledge of Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition and Natural Language Processing. (Used for handling data and text mining)
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclitus (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Recruitment Phone Screen
- Manager Phone Screen
- Virtual “on-site“ interview meeting with multiple members of the cross-functional team that will work directly with this role.
Benefits and Perks – The Highlights:
All around awesome culture where together we strive to:
- Pursue excellence every day
- Create customer value
- Compete to win (and lose!) as a team
As part of our culture of transparency and commitment to employee engagement, we have several programs and resources such as:
- Regular virtual company meetings
- Coffee chats
- Table for 4 Executive conversation
- Spirit Week
- Pulsing tools for continuous conversations to drive performance and career growth
- Strengths based tools designed to help employees engage with peers and managers, supported through a program called StandOut
- Access to top notch learning courses for all employees through LinkedIn Learning
- As well as constant re-evaluation of what our employees need to be successful at work!
Our more standard benefits include:
- Flexible Paid Time Off program – most employees average around 3 weeks per year
- 14 paid holidays including Independence Week, Juneteenth and World Mental Health Day
- 3 comprehensive health plans to fit your unique needs; plans have up to 100% company-paid premium coverage for employee Medical, Dental and Vision
- Access to Premera’s Healthcare Services including an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 24-hour Nurse Hotline, Telehealth (Doctor on Demand), Talkspace, and other virtual care options
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Company Paid Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Paid Parental / Adoption Leave program
- 401k program with fully vested, immediate company match
Equal Opportunity Employer: We embrace equal employment opportunity.
Payscale is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. It is our policy that employees will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, transfers, promotions, training, discipline, termination, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, education, and social and recreational programs.