Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,800 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.
Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of work. Draper supports many programs to improve work-life balance including workplace flexibility, employee clubs ranging from photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off site social events and discounts to local museums and cultural activities. If this specific job opportunity and the chance to work at a nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you, apply now www.draper.com/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sr. Embedded Systems Engineer is a key member in several small to medium sized dynamic research and development environments in which they support the day-to-day activities of users, perform system maintenance and upkeep of Information Technology and the design, development, documentation and deployment of IT solutions. The candidate will have responsibilities to support IT technology that will cover a wide array of competencies such as data administration, knowledge management, customer service, technical support, network services, system administration and systems security analysis. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for mentoring team members and technically leading IT projects related to implementing new technology solutions to address business challenges.
- Develops and conducts tests of systems to evaluate compliance with specifications and requirements by applying principles and methods for cost-effective planning, evaluating, verifying, and validating of technical, functional, and performance characteristics (including interoperability) of systems or elements of systems incorporating IT.
- Installs, configures, tests, operates, maintains, and manages networks and their firewalls, including hardware (switches, routers, cables, proxy servers, and protective distributor systems) and software that permit the sharing and transmission of all spectrum transmissions of information to support the security of information and information systems.
- Installs, configures, troubleshoots, and maintains server configurations (hardware and software) to ensure their confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Also manages accounts, firewalls, and patches. Responsible for access control/ passwords/ account creation and administration.
- Works closely with ISSM group to ensure system accreditation process is followed including maintenance of standard operating procedures, network drawings and configuration documentation.
- Conducts the integration/testing, operations, and maintenance of systems security.
- Manages and administers processes and tools that enable the organization to identify, document, and access intellectual capital and information content.
- Addresses problems, installs, configures, troubleshoots, and provides maintenance and training in response to customer requirements or inquiries (e.g., tiered-level customer support).
- Develops and administers databases and/or data management systems that allow for the storage, query, and utilization of data.
- Responsible for day to day support and maintenance of IT infrastructure systems (e.g. servers, workstations, switches, routers, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, encryption devices)
- Duties include but are not limited to system troubleshooting, vendor coordination, software patching, system deployment, license management, hardware and software management, and lifecycle management.
- Ensure all devices are under configuration management, receive updates, and maintain operational readiness.
- Monitor performance metrics and log data for continuous improvement and tuning.
- Assist and mentor other team members by acting in a secondary support role.
- Contributing member of the Computer Incident Response Team as needed.
- Develop project plans, architecture diagrams, requirement documentation, test plans, change requests, and communication to users.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, or a related field and 5-7 years of relevant experience, or 8+ years of experience without degree.
- 2 or more years of experience transitioning to converged infrastructures. This includes hands-on experience configuring, operating, and maintaining servers, data storage devices, networking functions, virtualization, management software, orchestration, and applications associated with a converged infrastructures. Experience with Dell and VMWare solutions in a Converged Infrastructure is preferred.
- Must have and be able to maintain a Top Secret clearance; SCI and Polygraph eligibility highly desired.
- Solid knowledge of the following regulations: JAFAN 6/3, DCID 6/3, NISPOM, NIST RMF and ICD 503.
- One or more professional certifications in accordance with DoD 8570.1, such as Network+, Security+, GSEC or CISSP is required.
- Vendor specific certifications from Cisco, Microsoft or Dell are desired.
- Experience with Windows 7, 8, 10; Server 2010, 2013, 2016 and Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016 required.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor team members and technically lead project teams to implement new IT solutions, and streamline current solutions and processes.
- Occasional off-hour/on-call support is necessary. A certain degree of flexibility of schedule is required as some work (planned/unplanned) must be done outside of major production hours during pre-scheduled maintenance windows.
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with minimal supervision (i.e. self-motivated and willing to stretch to meet important deadlines).
- Demonstrated project management abilities and/or aptitude with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of and implementation experience with security technologies and architecture, including encryption, network security, firewall configuration, intrusion detection, servers and workstations.
- Strong knowledge of client/server environments, group policies, domain services and networking.
- Demonstrated experience with infrastructure implementation, administration and day-to-day monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Ability to convey risks and proposed mitigation strategies to technical and business audiences.
- Basic Linux experience along with orchestration/automation solution knowledge is a plus.
Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance required. Only United States citizens can apply.
Extended use of computers, lifting and moving equipment up to 35lbs.
Works in various research and development laboratories that require special training, certifications and procedures to be followed.
Connect With Draper for Future Opportunities!
If you don't find the right posting in our Career Opportunities, you may submit your resume for future consideration.