Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Fellow Scientist opportunity at their new affiliate Mitobridge in Cambridge, MA.
The Fellow Scientist plays a strategic advisory role and provides technical expertise to management and staff. Consults with top management and makes recommendations based on research findings and product performance. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the group.
The incumbent will work closely with members of the R&D organization, CROs, consultants, corporate collaborators as well as the senior leadership team to ensure development and execution of drug discovery projects according to company goals.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead drug discovery programs using both internal and external (CRO, academia) resources
- Mentor junior scientists in project leadership in a matrix environment
- Provide scientific and strategic input into the company's target pipeline and best disease indication selection
- Lead all aspects of drug discovery project(s) using internal and external resources
- Proactively identify critical-path project goals, activities, and constraints, propose mitigation plans when necessary
- Direct, motivate and hold accountable to goals and timelines all internal and external team members associated with the project
- Effectively communicate project status, changes to plan and risks to senior leadership team
- Contribute in identifying the most relevant external resources for the project
- Contribute to strategies that advance projects from early stage to IND and clinical development
- Contribute to the company's scientific strategy
- Responsible for decisions and advice in scientific and/or technical areas that can impact development timelines and create significant delay or additional costs.
- PhD degree in pharmacology, biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field
- 15+ years of experience in a drug discovery setting (biotech or large pharma)
- Prior experience in leading drug discovery projects from lead discovery to IND
- Exceptional demonstration of scientific leadership and strategy, track record of leading value-creating accomplishments, external recognition of scientific leadership in translational setting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of Mitobridge
- Experience in areas such as muscle, kidney, metabolic, neurodegenerative diseases, rare diseases and/or mitochondrial biology
- A great sense of urgency and ownership for moving projects efficiently forward
- Experience with due diligence of business development opportunities in early and late stage programs
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled