Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all aspects of Mammography to include screening, diagnostic, needle localization and other related imaging. a. Able to operate imaging equipment and other devices as appropriate. b. Positions patients to obtain anatomic information. c. Calculates exposure factors correctly to reduce radiation exposure to patients. Practices radiation protection for both patients and personnel. d. Evaluates radiographs for technical quality and uses sound judgement to take additional radiographs to better demonstrate pathology. e. Evaluates requisition for appropriate history and clinical information and seeks guidance on correct exam if questionable. f. Reports all equipment malfunctions and hazards to appropriate supervisor.
- Performs diagnostic mammography on a regularly scheduled basis and maintains competency in needle localization and/or stereotactic biopsy procedures.
- Interacts professionally and courteously with patients, co-workers, and medical staff. Assists in training of student radiographers.
- Utilizes time productively and appropriately with respect to patient flow, room use, stocking of supplies, and clerical duties to increase department efficiency. a. Patient wait times are minimized. b. More than 90% of time worked is spent on productive tasks without supervisory prompting.
- Actively follows Universal Precaution guidelines with each patient. a. Attends yearly “Blood-borne pathogens/OSHA“ inservice. b. Practices aseptic technique when necessary.
- Produces an accurate computer and written record on each exam. a. Completes Meditech entries 98% of the time. b. Completes requisition/film/film jacket correlation accurately 98% of the time.
- Pursues continuing education by attending department and hospital wide programs, regional seminars, and/or college courses. a. Meets ARRT standards b. Meets MA State licensing standards c. Provides documentation of continuing education and licensing as it's updated to mammography supervisor.
- Develops and processes radiographic films.
- Digitizes appropriate mammography films using the CAD system.
- Performs various other similar or related duties as required and/or directed by supervisors.
- Willingly performs any task for which the employee is competent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Two (2) years of formal Radiologic Technology training with at least one year of radiography experience and additional training in mammography.
- Registered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- Licensed in both Mammography and in Radiography by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Good interpersonal skills