At Veeva, we build enterprise cloud technology that powers the biggest names in the pharmaceutical, biotech, consumer goods, chemical & cosmetics industries. Our customers make vaccines, life-saving medicines, and life-enhancing products that make a difference in everyday lives. Our technology has transformed these industries; enabling them to get critical products and services to market faster. Our core values, Do the Right Thing, Customer Success, Employee Success, and Speed, guide us as we make our customers more efficient and effective in everything they do.
As a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), you are responsible for ensuring the operational quality of our Vault platform and its applications. This cloud content management platform is transforming how life sciences and other regulated companies work. You need to be strategic and hands-on; automating processes and developing tools that streamline product delivery, and drive architectural changes back into the product. The SRE ensures that not only can the Vault platform meet the scalability and reliability needs of our customers but also that the operational aspects of maintaining the fleet is optimized and automated.
The ideal candidate is someone who can work independently, is a strong leader, has outstanding problem solving skills, able to establish and nurture relationships across departments, has the experience and enterprise software background to make sound decisions and drive excellence. This role is for someone who loves to use their creativity to solve tough problems and to effect change in the product and operations. You bring a unique engineering perspective to development as you become the expert in the big picture of how all of the related systems and applications come together in production.
What You'll Do
- Ensure the Vault platform meets the scalability and reliability needs of our customers.
- During a crisis, lead the effort to triage and mitigate.
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a global team maintaining the availability and performance of the system.
- Strategize with engineering teams on complex problems. Make decisions and recommendations about systems improvements after analyzing possible courses of conduct.
- Participate in engineering design reviews of new features and drive focused initiatives that improve operational efficiency and scalability of the platform.
- Independently learn new technologies and master the Vault platform so you can provide full stack diagnostics and help determine the root cause of internal problems.
- Build tools and automation that eliminate work and reduce time it takes to resolve an issue.
- Manage real-time communications during outages with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Communicate effectively with engineering teams, and describe problems succinctly with sufficient detail that you can hand off an ongoing problem to another team or a peer for completion.
- 5+ years of experience operating and scaling services in a distributed, internet-scale environment
- Proven track record of being an independent self-starter
- Expert knowledge of Linux operating systems and environment
- Strong knowledge of Networking, Load balancers, DNS, and TCP/IP
- Experience with RDBMS, such as MySQL, Oracle, or MS SQL Server
- Demonstrated history of crisis management leadership ability; experience with incident management
- Experience in handling production outages and root cause analysis
- Hands-on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Effective communication skills across all levels -- whether talking to individual contributors or executives
- Solid scripting skills; experience with Shell, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.
- Experience working with and building Java/J2EE applications
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty
Nice to Have
- Experience with Virtualization/Amazon AWS a plus
- Experience creating tools for infrastructure (IaaS and PaaS) management and automation a plus
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.