1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
The Content Engineering team is responsible for the content metadata pipeline and cost management systems for all Scribd content. Our work enables other teams at Scribd to build better user experiences and empowers publishers to control how content is made available to users. Practically this means our work involves:
• Ingesting publisher data for content metadata extraction, lifecycle management, and pricing.
• Analyzing documents to detect duplicates, detect spam, and enforce publisher copyrights.
• Building document metadata (language classification, topic extraction, etc) that can be used to surface more relevant content to Scribd users.
• Calculating publisher payouts.
• You thrive within a team environment
• You instinctively feel a sense of ownership and responsibility over projects you work on
• You get excited at the prospect of building robust and intelligent data pipelines
• You love to read and learn, and would relish the opportunity to contribute to a company that enables others to do the same
• Own the design, development, and operation of our content metadata pipeline and publisher payouts
• Work in cross-functional product squads to build both user-facing and publisher-facing features
• Leverage Scribd's existing content and machine learning in new and creative ways to build more intelligent features that enable better user experiences
• 8+ years of experience building backend systems
• Bachelor’s in CS or equivalent professional experience
• Experience with Ruby, Rails, Spark, and Data Engineering are nice-to-haves but not required
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of Caltrain and BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.