1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Simply put, Core Platform is here to provide robust and foundational software, increasing operational excellence to scale apps and data at Scribd.
Our primary customer is Scribd Engineering. We are focused on building, testing, deploying apps and infrastructure which will help other teams rapidly scale, inter-operate, integrate with real-time data, and incorporate machine learning into their products. Working with our customers in the Data Science and Content Engineering, and our peers in Internal Tools and Infrastructure teams we bring systems-level visibility and focus to our projects.
We will develop and operate standards and infrastructure for RPC, service discovery, and data ingestion.
We will be building backend systems which enable Scribd Engineering to support our product's growth on continued success. Our goal is not total architectural or design perfection, but rather choosing the right trade-offs to strike a balance between speed, quality, and cost. We will also be responsible for education and evangelism of our work within Scribd Engineering, this includes writing thorough documentation for the systems we build, hosting internal workshops, and providing implementation support to our peers across engineering.
- You will also be helping to define the future of supported application platforms for Scribd engineering, whether that is on Ruby, Golang, or Node.
- Help to support and grow our underlying platform beyond its existing foundation of Ruby, Rails, and MySQL is a significant part of your job. This includes acting as a domain expert for the underpinnings of Rails and where and how it interacts with our infrastructure, whether through ActiveRecord, Sidekiq, or Kafka.
- Ruby/Rails internals or systems-level knowledge
- Rather than being proficient in Rails, developers should understand how Rails was designed and put together.
- Ideally an understanding of how ActiveRecord works from the inside out.
- Familiar enough to drive large upgrades of Ruby and/or Rails; should be able to own the upgrade and refactoring process for gems as a result. Working knowledge of tools like Thrift/Avro/Protobuf.
- Understanding why these tools exist and where they can be used.
Ideally you have
- Experience with event-driven application platforms, such as Node, Stackless Python, Go + Goroutines, etc.
- Knowledge of how the data access layers of Rails, Django, or similar frameworks operate.
- Can explain how objects are hydrated from data storage, and what runtime-specific caveats might be implied for the framework.
- Working knowledge and experience with gRPC.
- Informed opinions on the trade-offs between object serialization RPC and RESTful JSON over HTTP.
Why we work here
• Our HQ is in SF, but we have teams distributed in Toronto, Amsterdam, and remote engineering throughout the US
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.