Senior Mechanical Engineering Designer
CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineering Designer based in our downtown Buffalo, NY office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be a member of our multi-disciplinary team and will work under the direction of a licensed engineer. Projects may include new construction and renovation in educational, healthcare, corporate commercial and science and technology.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Perform and direct complex design of ductwork, piping and equipment selection for HVAC systems for large scale size buildings. Able to work independently in all Mechanical disciplines with no oversight or guidance. As necessary assist with Plumbing and Fire Protection Designs.
- Oversee, guide, mentor and provide technical leadership to designers and engineering team.
- Direct the work of less experienced staff including the development and presentation of annual performance reviews.
- May serve in the QAQC process and an independent reviewer.
- Interface effectively with clients and members of the design team.
- Oversee the use of engineering complexities related to the use Energy Model software.
- Prepare Revit/BIM modeling of construction drawings of HVAC systems from schematic design to construction administration phases including layout, sketches and detail drawings as required. As necessary perform Revit/BIM modeling for plumbing and fire protection systems.
- Specify mechanical equipment such as boilers, chillers, and air handling units.
- Review and accept selective shop drawings for compliance of specifications and contract documents.
- Interface effectively with clients and members of the project team and attend Owner, Architect, Construction Administration (OAC) meetings with an understanding and focus on the project budget.
- Participate or lead value engineering sessions with Architectural/Engineering team.
- Recommend improvements with reference standards and processes to improve quality, coordination, and to streamline production efforts.
- Conduct staff development activities including work planning, budget development, scheduling in conjunction with the Project Manager.
- Respond to RFI’s and review of change orders in the preparation of construction documents.
- Conduct job site visits to verify existing conditions and observe construction progress. Attend and participate in construction meetings. Site visits frequently require a physical walk-through of site.
- Represents company in project activities; directs activities of project team members; represents company in business development and marketing activities. May serve on internal and/or professional committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering or Bachelor of Architectural Engineering (Mechanical Systems focus) from an ABET accredited program.
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience.
- Strong knowledge of Life Safety Codes
- Current PE in the United States preferred.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to effectively handle multiple projects.
- Must have the ability to engage effectively with clients.
- Experience in computer applications for engineering design programs (i.e. Revit, Trane Trace or Trane 3D Plus) required.
As a Federal Contractor, CannonDesign is required to comply with President Biden's Executive Order 14042. Therefore, as a condition of employment, all employees must provide proof of receipt of a full COVID-19 vaccination unless qualified for a valid medical or religious accommodation.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
For a general overview of our benefits, please visit our careers page at www.cannondesign.com/careers/
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.