About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), Jacksonville, FL (2022), and Cincinnati, OH (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission:IDEA Academy co-teachers learn instructional strategies and develop their teaching skills in order to provide highly effective instruction to IDEA students. IDEA co-teachers implement Direct Instruction Curriculum (DI) and are responsible for student instruction under the guidance of an IDEA teacher and assistant principal of instruction. DI co-teachers use clear instruction and always teach to mastery. This means that teachers do not move on in the lesson until students have grasped the content they need to know. Groups are organized by level, so that every student can learn at their own pace.
- Assist in the educational development of students under the direction and guidance of the classroom teachers
- Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records.
- Successfully implement the Direct Instruction (DI) Curriculum
- Participate in lesson practice and delivery of our Direct Instruction (DI) Curriculum
- Communicate students’ progress with student and family on a weekly basis
- Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom
- Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
- Additional responsibilities may include: after-school tutoring or Saturday school and are based on the needs of our scholars
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Education: At least 48 college hours required or bachelor’s degree
- Experience: Experience in a classroom setting or with children
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability and motivation to master the Direct Instruction Curriculum
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $14.11 for 0 years of experience and $19.45
- Hourly co-teachers earnings are paid out over a 12-month period