At quip, we design and deliver delightful products, content, and services that keep your mouth healthy. Over the past 3 years, we have grown a large community of over 1 million active members (and over 30,000 dental professionals) through our direct to consumer oral health subscription service, and in 2019 we expect our consumer and professional communities to grow even faster and more demographically and geographically diverse than ever before.
We are looking for a Senior-level Sustaining Mechanical Engineer to help continue this mission. The ideal candidate will drive continuous improvement and manufacturing excellence for existing products.
- Conduct RCA for supplier quality problems and coordinate/implement effective and timely CAPA.
- Review product/process design documentation to ensure alignment with process capability and yield target, propose and execute modifications to documentation and design to drive alignment.
- Attend late validation builds, and be on-site for occasions where on-site sustaining engineering support would be beneficial.
- Liaise between design engineering, product management, sourcing, quality, manufacturing, and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables.
- Present engineering feedback and best practices information to local and offshore engineering teams and suppliers.
- Review existing product design, identify weaknesses, propose, implement and monitor the effectiveness of improvements.
- Lead and implement quality improvements, review/audit manufacturing processes and quality systems at suppliers.
- Lead post-launch sustaining activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high-quality standards.
- Active engagement with the design team to establish quality plans and requirements.
- Mentor and direct other sustaining engineer(s).
- Other responsibilities based on project needs.
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
- 4+ years of engineering design and/or manufacturing experience for high volume production, preferably including consumer packaged goods
- 1+ year experience in mentoring/managing other engineers
- Experience in achieving best-in-class fit and finish for design-focused products
- Experience working with domestic, overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing, and validation
- Flexibility to travel domestically and internationally
- Working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, part tooling, and machining processes
- Experience designing products that are exposed to humid/wet environments
- High cavitation injection molding, 2K molding, sheetmetal, and die casting process experience
- Knowledge of NPI and product development process
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite and G-Suite, 3D CAD (SolidWorks), PLM (Fusion Lifecycle)
- Comfort with rapid development cycles and the ability to remain flexible in the face of ambiguity
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
Strong project management skills to manage a broad set of tasks and responsibilities
- Experience with IPX qualified products that require defense against moisture ingress
- Advanced knowledge of CNC, flow forming, spin forming, anodizing, bead blasting, coating, and other finishing processes
- An office located in the heart of Dumbo, Brooklyn with views of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges
- Wifi-enabled rooftop
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Extended Education Support
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Competitive compensation package
- Stocked kitchen with snacks
- Generous employee discount on all quip products
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule, we are now growing our product line with that same standard of design. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility are applied throughout our community.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.