Requisition Number: BKBEA01369
OUR STORY: Brooklyn Boulders (BKB) opened its doors in 2009. With facilities now nestled in the hearts of New York, Boston and Chicago and programs all over the country, BKB operates an adventure lifestyle ecosystem that consists of a diverse community of climbers, creatives, artists, and fitness enthusiasts, with the common vision of Becoming Superhuman Together.
We live and breathe our CORE VALUES. They’re what makes BKB…BKB!
GET WEIRD -- Be yourself. BKB is your creative playground.
CO-CREATE -- Trust your team. Results are stronger when we collaborate.
BE RELENTLESS -- Attitude is everything. Take risks. Fall hard. Get back up.
MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL -- Create something extraordinary. Be proud to share it. Never stop improving.
MAKE IT AN OPEN HOUSE PARTY -- Encourage diversity and inclusion.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Coaching for the BKBeasts presents the opportunity to connect with our BKB Kids core values in their purest form; relaying your passion for rock climbing to our youth community. Getting weird with curriculum ideas, co-creating with your fellow coaches, being relentless in your passion for teaching, helping to make our kids “technically beautiful” climbers, exhibiting a great attitude (both on and off the clock) and lastly, inspiring your kids and fellow coaches to push for more; these are the foundation elements of the BKBeasts.
It’s time to get weird with Brooklyn Boulders.
- Be respectful to fellow coaches, Beasts, and parents at all times.
- Be a good representative of Brooklyn Boulders and the BKBeasts when climbing at BKB, other facilities, and outside.
- Be proactive about the coaching curriculum: ask questions, give suggestions, make adjustments where necessary.
- Be on time for your coaches meeting, pre-practice meeting, practices and competitions
- Be prompt (reply within one business day) with email responses from your Head Coach, Team Manager, fellow coaches or parents/Beasts.
- Keep yourself current and informed with the training techniques both outside of and within the curriculum.
- Be an active climber
- It is our expectation that you will be focused on training throughout the climbing season. Coaches of the JC, CT, and ACT teams should actively use the training curriculums for these teams to give you insight at team practice, comps and climbing sessions.
- Maintain/create relationship(s) with team parents.
- Keep Team Manager informed of any bad/good behavior amongst BKBeasts. Written warnings must be given to team parents immediately after an incident occurs, and can be written in collaboration with the Head Coach.
- Written warnings contain details of the incident at team practice along with methods used by the coach to diffuse the situation. The coach should use the contact list to send an email to the parent with the above information directly after the incident occurs. Coaches must CC the Team Manager. The Team Manager should be informed when this happens as well.
- Do not participate in risky behavior while in Brooklyn Boulders or another facility: ensure that fellow coaches and BKBeasts are following the gyms safety procedures (i.e. standing under climbers, running, purposefully falling in an uncontrolled manner, etc.)
- Take pictures/videos of the Beasts while training and promo shots/videos of yourselves for our sponsors (Adidas Outdoor and La Sportiva) and for BKB.
- Each coach must give equal attention to all members of the BKBeasts (no favoritism).
- Each Competitive Training Team and Advanced Competitive Training Team coach must make themselves available for a minimum of two comps (as per the competition schedule given out at the start of each season).
- This does not mean you will absolutely be scheduled for these comps, but you must be available.
- Extensive rock climbing experience, including both sport climbing and bouldering
- A desire to pass on your knowledge and experience
- Previous experience working with youth climbers
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and a BKBeast Coach is…
- Always learning and improving, both in their climbing and coaching abilities
- Focused on giving lessons, not beta.
- An inspiration to young athletes and provides good role model behavior.
- Free membership for employees
- Complimentary membership for a significant other or family member
- Unlimited free guest passes for friends
- Discounts on personal training, retail, and guided outdoor adventure trips
- Free access to non-competitive youth programs for children of employees
- Company offered health, dental, and vision plans
- Generous paid time off policies
- One month paid sabbatical every 5 years of FT service
- Employee professional development fund
- 401k with employer match
- Generous parental leave policy
Though our Team Members come from a wide range of experiences and are as unique as our business, we are all united under our ultimate purpose: belonging and inspiration through experiences that engage imagination, passion, and physical potential. We’re excited to have you be a part of our team of co-creative, hardworking, and driven individuals; welcome to Brooklyn Boulders!