Sr Software Engineer
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
Cox Automotive is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Marketing and Advertising engineering team.
Burlington VT or Remote – Cox locations – Atlanta GA, OR Austin TX, OR Mission KS
Cox Automotive is the market leading provider of technology services to the automotive industry. Our engineering organization takes pride in building innovative products that make our customers successful. We are passionate about building great software while having fun doing it. The result is an award-winning culture in which everyone is approachable, ideas are judged on their merits, and healthy, empowered people drive transformative technology.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll work on our Advertising products to help make our customers successful. We are developing cloud native applications in AWS using many of the latest cutting edge services and having fun doing it.
We own, and are responsible for, our infrastructure, including everything from the public network all the way down to our compute and relational database schema design. All of our infrastructure is in AWS, and we manage it using CDK and Terraform. We use CI/CD best practices to develop, test, and deploy our applications. We use a wide variety of AWS services, ranging from LAMBDA, API Gateway, containers in the Elastic Container Service, to Elastic Map Reduce, Athena, Glue, and other No SQL Big Data services to process a large volume of data, work with products and architects to learn, and apply those learnings to future product and technical development.
Our engineering organization believes in addressing technical debt. In addition to working with product owners to prioritize and fix defects as necessary, we reserve one sprint a quarter to work on things that are bugging us, whether that’s cleaning up noisy alerts, automating manual processes, or just revisiting code if we think there’s a better way to do it, using the tools we have available to set goals prior to making changes, and measuring our success.
We have annual Hackathons, designed to let our engineers play with new technology and show us their creativity. We have annual self-hosted technology conferences where our teams learn from internal and external experts, including those from our many technology vendors.
If you want to work on highly performant software running at scale in the cloud, with the ability to both learn new technologies, and have an impact on our ability to succeed as a team, organization, and company, this job is for you.
Java, Spring, AWS (S3, Lambda, API Gateway, SQS, Terraform, CDK, CloudFront, CloudWatch, RDS, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy), Active MQ, Maven, NewRelic/DataDog/SumoLogic, Cucumber, REST/gRPC, Hibernate, MySQL, GitHub
- Develop advertising solutions for the expanding digital advertising space including Connected TV, OTT, Music Streaming, YouTube, Facebook, Google Search and Display
- Design, build and support cloud-native applications that serve our digital advertising stakeholders
- Establish patterns for our organization that deliver our software products at scale with observability, performance and security
- Design and build service-oriented architecture solutions, constructing and managing services published to both internal and external consumers, integrating with complex database and third-party components
- Engage with your agile scrum team to build a culture of passion, trust and creativity
- Learn and leverage the automotive digital advertising domain to change the way the world buys, sells and uses cars
- Compensation includes a base salary of $84,660 - 118,626. Salary may vary outside of the anticipated range based on factors such as the ultimate location of the position and the selected candidate's experience.
- Position is eligible for additional compensation that may include commission (annual, monthly, etc.) and/or an incentive program.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related field. Advanced technical degree and/or related training a plus
- 5+ years of multi-threaded server-side web application development experience
What We Look For:
- Experience designing and implementing applications with highly optimized and scalable architectures with an emphasis on AWS technologies
- Strong Java skills, including experience with the J2EE platform and the Spring framework.
- Object-oriented design experience, including applied use of design patterns
- Dev Ops Systems engineering experience such as performance troubleshooting, thread dump analysis, garbage collection configuration.
- Experience implementing automated tests and observability, monitoring and alerting
- Proven ability to work independently; designing, developing and deploying solutions, and to deliver projects on time with minimal direction
- Strong database development skills including a solid understanding of database technologies, and logical and physical data modeling
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies desired
- Knowledge of digital advertising is a plus
Known for the outstanding quality of life Vermont has to offer, Burlington is a small city with a lot going for it. Nestled between the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks along the shores of Lake Champlain, the area is a haven for outdoor recreation. The Burlington area is home to several colleges and the University of Vermont and has a thriving cultural scene. Cox Automotive is based at 1 Howard St., in the heart of Burlington’s South End, which features great restaurants, breweries, and convenient access to Burlington’s bike path, parks and waterfront.
Like many engineering teams, the pandemic has challenged us to evolve how we work. Ask us how!
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.