Requisition Number: DATAS04303
As a Data Science and Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for leading a team of data engineers in the design, development, testing, maintenance, and documentation of high-quality data and machine learning (ML) products and capabilities. In this role, you will be responsible for planning and executing key data engineering initiatives for data science, machine learning, data pipelines, analytics and product insights. You will help architect and build the data and ML platform to support the exploration, evaluation, and analysis of new data sets for key insights and to enable the building of high performing data products.
To be successful, you will need to have an excellent understanding of modern, cloud-based big data and ML architectures. You will have prior experience writing high-performance SQL, experience building automated data pipelines, experience using Spark/Databricks, and experience writing Python/R for analyzing data. The ideal person should be a hands-on leader who is strategic in decision making, relentless in execution, and passionate about building products and capabilities that enable a culture of experimentation and data-driven product development.
Who We Are
HealthIO is a health technology practice focused on prevention & management of chronic conditions and overall health & wellness. We aim to disrupt the healthcare industry through a new, technology-driven way to manage health and wellness outside of a doctor's office. Check us out at healthio.milliman.com.
Independent for over 70 years, Milliman delivers market-leading services and solutions to clients worldwide. Today, we are helping companies take on some of the world's most critical and complex issues, including retirement funding and healthcare financing, risk management and regulatory compliance, data analytics and business transformation.
Through a team of professionals ranging from actuaries to clinicians, technology specialists to plan administrators, we offer unparalleled expertise in employee benefits, investment consulting, healthcare, life insurance and financial services, and property and casualty insurance.
- Build and lead a high performing data engineering team
- Lead, mentor and develop data engineers to architect, develop and deliver data, analytics and ML products and capabilities
- Partner with cross-functional engineering teams to drive architecture and development of a data and machine learning platform that provide seamless access to high-quality data and can generate insights to be surfaced to end users and customers
- Lead the development of data quality tools, frameworks and processes to ensure accuracy, quality, completeness and consistency of data
- Lead the development of scalable data pipelines and data stores
- Build tools and capabilities to drive ease of use for enablement, data delivery and experimentation across the organization
- Collaborate and partner with product managers and engineering leads to interject data capabilities into products and ensure availability and delivery of data services to support other product objectives
- Establish strong relationships across the business including Product, UX, Engineering, Customer Success and Sales & Marketing
- Manage prioritization and allocation of resources to optimize delivery
- Participate in Agile development ceremonies to design solutions, estimate effort, and collaborate with the team to effectively plan work
- Understand the practicalities of DevOps style (agile/lean) approaches to software development and implement best practices where they add value
- Assist in technical presentations and info-sharing sessions to create a clear and uniform understanding of the new systems to various constituents across the organization.
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture that is innovative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members through coaching and assignment to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- 10+ years of demonstrated software development and data engineering experience
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience leading and managing engineering teams including performance management, onboarding, coaching, and mentoring
- Hands-on experience with machine learning tools, techniques and algorithms
- Demonstrated experience in leading data science, machine learning, or data engineering organizations with track records of delivering production ready data products, systems, and capabilities
- Demonstrated experience with cloud solutions (Azure, AWS, Snowflake, etc) for data & ML applications
- Demonstrated experience with data engineering, data modeling, data architecture, and big data technologies (Spark, Databricks, etc)
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing automated data pipelines (SSIS, Stitch or AWS Glue)
- Demonstrated experience building data analytics dashboards and reporting solutions (Power BI, Mode Analytics, Tableau, Looker)
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience with Relational Databases and SQL programming
- Demonstrated experience tracking work tasks, details, and issues using a work management tool (Jira)
- Demonstrated experience setting code and design documentation standards
- Excellent technical design, problem solving and debugging skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation skills, and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer science, or computer engineering, or 6+ years equivalent professional experience
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or other relevant scientific field
- Experience in creating software as a service (SaaS) solutions, ideally business-to-business (B2B)
- Experience in environments subject to HIPAA and/or PCI regulations
- Experience developing data-driven APIs for web and mobile apps
Location: This position will be based out of the Milliman office in Brookfield. Applicants must be willing to work onsite in the Milliman office once in-office operations resume (date TBD and dependent upon CDC guidelines).
Salary: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and skills.