Spanish Teacher $2000 Signing Bonus
Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health and Science Charter School
Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science Charter School is seeking certified and experienced Spanish (World Language) teacher to provide instruction to our middle and high school students. Under the general supervision of the Assistant Principal, Spanish teachers work collaboratively with other teachers within their department and across other content areas.
Qualified candidates who meet the requirements for this position should submit a current resume and thoughtful cover letter which addresses these 2 questions:
- What prior work and life experiences have best prepared you for this position?
- Why do you desire to work in an urban, middle/high school environment?
- NYS certification in Spanish required
- At least 2 years prior teaching experience in middle/high school preferred
- Demonstrated success working in non-traditional and/or urban school settings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with educational technology (SMART Board, student laptops, etc.)
- Willingness to learn and grow professionally
- Content Knowledge and Planning
- Exhibit an understanding of and skills relevant to the subject area(s) taught
- Demonstrate an ability to make topics and activities meaningful and relevant to each student
- Integrate available technology resources compatible with students’ needs and abilities
- Develop lesson plans that are clear, logical, and sequential using Understanding by Design principles
- Plan with appropriate specialist(s) to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students
- Instructional Strategies
- Link present content/skills with past and future learning experiences
- Effectively use various instructional strategies (e.g., modeling, cooperative learning, collaboration, and reading and writing in the content areas) to differentiate learning for all students
- Effectively use questioning strategies to engage students and promote learning
- Monitor students’ understanding of the lesson and adjusts teaching when appropriate
- Maximize student learning by providing opportunities for all learners to participate actively and successfully
- Explain content and demonstrates skills in a variety of ways to meet the needs of all students
- Hold each learner individually responsible for learning
- Use results of a variety of assessments to monitor and modify instruction as needed
- Effectively use both teacher-made and standardized tests, as appropriate, to measure student performance
- Use oral, non-verbal, and written forms of student assessment
- Organize, maintain, and use records of student progress to make effective instructional decisions
- Continuously monitor students’ progress before, during, and after instruction, and provides meaningful feedback
- Demonstrate competence in the use of acceptable grading/ranking/scoring practices in recording and reporting student achievement
- Student Communication and Rapport
- Use precise language and acceptable oral expression and written communication
- Articulate clear learning goals and instructional procedures for the lesson to the students
- Model caring, fairness, courtesy, respect and active listening
- Model concern for students’ emotional and physical well being
- Seek and maintains positive interactions with students in all school settings
- Seek information about student interests and opinions
- Classroom Management
- Enforce the school’s student behavior policy
- Communicate clear expectations about behavior to students and parents
- Actively monitor student behavior and provides feedback in a constructive manner to students and parents
- Create a physical setting and establishes routines that promote learning and minimize disruption
- Structure transitions in an efficient and constructive manner
- Manage emergency situations, as they occur, in school settings
- Professional Demeanor and Development
- Maintain a professional appearance and deportment.
- Interact with colleagues and students in an ethical and professional manner.
- Carry out duties in accordance with established policies, practices, and regulations.
- Select appropriate channels for resolving concerns and problems, and maintains confidentiality.
- Complete all classroom and school assignments and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
- Participate in professional growth activities including conferences, workshops, course work and committees or membership in professional organizations.
- Explore and apply knowledge and information about new or improved methods of instruction and related issues.
- Identify areas of personal strength and weakness and seeks improvement of skills and professional performance.
- School Community and Culture
- Initiate communication with parents or guardians concerning student progress or problems in a timely manner.
- Respond promptly to parental concerns and encourages parental involvement within the school.
- Interact with parents and the community by providing useful information regarding the school.
- Work cooperatively with community members in carrying our school and community sponsored functions.
- Build collaborative relationships with colleagues, sharing teaching insights and coordinating student learning.
- Serve on school committees and supports school activities.
- Contribute to the development of the profession by serving as a teacher, mentor, peer coach, and/or supervisor to practicing teachers, student teachers, or interns.
- Support school goals and initiatives
Skills and Abilities
- Plan, organize, develop and conduct a comprehensive teaching and instruction program
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for pupils from a wide range achievement levels
- Effectively assess the instructional and educational needs of pupils, and design, develop, and implement sound instructional and educational programs
- Provide a motivating and stimulating learning environment
- Perform research and development activities pertaining to curriculum and instructional programs
- Follow safety procedures and written and verbal instructions
- Work effectively with staff, students, and public
- Make independent decisions
- Work autonomously within school established guidelines and policies
- Organize tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks
- Demonstrate good judgment and good problem-solving skills
- Direct and instruct others
- Respond appropriately to evaluation and changes in the work setting
- Highly competitive salary commensurate with experience and education.
- Comprehensive benefits package
Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health and Science Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.