Assistant Chef - Soundview (South Bronx)
Homes for the Homeless, Inc. seeks an Assistant Chef Instructor to provide operational support to our brand new, state of the art culinary center, which will be the site of our culinary, baking/pastry, and barista courses.
ABOUT HOMES FOR THE HOMELESS, INC.
Homes for the Homeless, Inc. (HFH) is a non-profit social services organization operating family shelters throughout NYC that serve as a hub of opportunity for families both residing in shelter as well as those in the neighboring community. On-site programs range from childcare, early childhood education centers, afterschool clubs and programs, and youth recreation activities, such as sports teams, to housing assistance, case management, parenting workshops, career and job vocational training, support groups and substance abuse assistance, and family engagement and recreation events for the whole family.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the guidance of the Lead Culinary Instructor, and the Director of Culinary Education, the Assistant Chef Instructor’s responsibilities include:
- Support of classroom management and instruction
- Providing constructive feedback to students in real time
- Assisting lead instructor with daily class preparation: Pre-class setup
- Assisting lead instructor in recording class attendance
- Assisting and at times, leading, hands-on student workshops
- Inventory management: Assist lead instructor in reviewing beginning and ending inventory
- Collaborating with HFH’s Culinary department in assessing the educational impact of recipes and culinary techniques taught in HFH’s courses
- Ensuring all equipment/tools are properly cleaned and stored
- Graduate of a professional culinary school, with a focus on culinary, or 1 year of professional kitchen experience
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- NYC Food Handler’s Certificate, or willingness to receive a certificate upon hire
- Knowledge of baking/pastry (desired)
- Bilingual: Spanish and English (desired)
- Local applicants encouraged to apply!
In order to attract and retain a high-performance workforce, Homes for the Homeless offers a dynamic and rewarding work environment, with a focus on ensuring an appropriate work-life balance. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance (including medical, dental, and vision), an employer-funded 403(b) retirement plan, commuter benefits, life insurance, Work/Life Assistance Program, 3 weeks paid vacation, and ample personal and sick leave.
Homes for the Homeless is committed to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of dignity and respect. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment, and prohibit any form of discrimination or harassment based on age, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, arrest or conviction, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.