Dispatcher, Autonomous Vehicles
Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Autonomous Vehicle Dispatcher is responsible for commanding and tracking the driverless trucks at the heart of the Outrider System, a first-of-its-kind product designed to automate the world’s largest distribution yards. This position reports to the head of Outrider dispatch operations and serves as Outrider’s primary point of contact for operations issues and inquiries at customer sites. The AV Dispatcher duties include assigning trailer move requests to the autonomous trucks (aka terminal tractors, hostlers, shifters, dogs, goats) operating at customer distribution yards and managing truck movements via Mission Control, Outrider’s proprietary, cloud-hosted dispatching/monitoring tool.
The AV Dispatcher may interact with customer dispatching functions (either humans or the customer’s yard management system/YMS) as needed to assign, track and update the status of customer-requested trailer moves.This role is hands-on, requiring close monitoring of system performance and productivity as well on-point suggestions for improvements to the UI, workflow, and overall system.
The successful candidate will enjoy a dynamic work environment, has strong focus and attention to detail, is comfortable making fast and sound decisions with a safety-first mindset.This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers the successful candidate the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines robotics technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
Duties & responsibilities
- Maintain communication with customer site operations team
- Check in and check out daily with the customer site operations team at the beginning and end of AV operations
- Explain each mission to both the Autonomous Vehicle Safety Driver and Ground Safety Technician (when applicable) prior to sending any tasks to the autonomous truck
- Quickly learn, use, and optimize yard operations workflows with the Outrider user interface, assigning trailer move requests to all autonomous yard trucks
- Refer to and/or use customer software applications, including warehouse management systems (WMS) and yard management systems (YMS), as needed
- Record all necessary information to report system performance and agreed-upon customer key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Ensure a site safety brief is conducted each day before AV operations begin, as well as whenever site conditions change (i.e. inclement weather)
- Be informed about, and operate strictly within, the Site Safety Plans that Outrider agrees to with every customer for site operations
- Conduct a site inspection of all Outrider work spaces at the beginning and end of each day
- Understand and support customer site-specific rules, procedures, and other operational requirements, and interact with customer personnel as required
- Coordinate with Outrider engineering teams to determine plans to resolve system/operational issues and execute those plans as quickly as possible to resume operations
- Escalate issues internally and externally, as necessary, to ensure prompt resolution
- Travel and perform fieldwork in locations other than those originally assigned, as needed
- Train customer employees in the use of the Outrider System
- Communicate with customers in a professional and courteous manner
- While this is an accurate reflection of the position, Outrider reserves the right to require additional/different tasks to be performed as needed
- BS or BA degree or 3-4 years of relevant industry or technical experience
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in transportation, intermodal, industrial automation, material handling automation, or warehouse operations
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to communicate and assist with troubleshooting complex systems issues quickly and correctly while on customer sites
- Self-driven and demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Very good time management skills and ability to quickly make informed decisions
- Proficient with MS Office
- Sterling references
- Frequent and sustained travel, to include multiple weeks on a customer site to deploy outrider autonomous solutions
- Willing to work 11 hour shifts but typically working a maximum of 3 days in a row
- Experience with autonomous vehicle systems, complex electronic systems and field work
- Exceptional customer service
- Interest in data analysis
- Knowledge of and experience with integrated hardware/firmware/ software systems
Compensation & benefits
- Salary range of $68,000 - 70,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.