Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Senior Engineer – Instrument Operations Systems Engineer
This position is for a systems engineer who can lead a team to establish the operational concept and plan, define, communicate and implement the operations of a payload or instrument.
What you'll do:
- Manage Instrument CONOPS and Operations requirements over the program lifecycle – Informed by mission CONOPS, definition, analysis, allocations, verification and validation.
- Guide subsystem development with a focus on the mission CONOPS, subsystem interfaces, and timelines.
- Gather needs and input from stakeholders, and translate them into system constraints, operating procedures, and command sequences.
- Identify system/subsystem interfaces and work with technical experts to ensure proper documentation, maintenance, and flow of information.
- As part of the Systems Engineering team, identify risks and create a plan to monitor and control opportunities and threats.
- Track and assess project changes as they impact operational plans and products.
- Communicate to internal/external customers how to operate the system.
- Work with Integration and Test to encourage flight-like testing and provide input to risk assessments for exceptions.
- Create and deliver presentations to internal/external customers in both informal and formal settings.
- Support integration and test activities.
- Mentor less experienced engineers in best systems engineering practices and seek mentorship from others to guide your own career development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Big picture mentality and ability to help others maintain a strong technical vision of the end product.
- Familiarity and experience in space instrumentation and payload engineering is preferred, but not required. This includes, but is not limited to: systems architecture and design, systems engineering, imaging, data acquisition and analysis, commands and telemetry definition, and integration and test.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to understand the customer's needs and clearly describe proposed solutions.
- Good writing and presentation skills, with experience communicating to decision-makers and technical audiences.
- A strong technical foundation and a desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Self-starter attitude and drive to reach beyond typical job responsibilities and deliver results.
- Familiarity and experience in operational software (flight or ground) is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with databases such as Access or SQL are preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Ruby, Python, or Visual Basic are preferred, but not required.
- Active TS/SCI, SSBI or Top-Secret clearance required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government national security clearance investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required. By applying to this position you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire, if one is required, to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.