The primary responsibility for this position is the preparation and timely filing of federal and state individual and fiduciary income tax returns and tax estimates of moderate to high complexity, including the gathering and analysis of all information needed to complete these returns and to determine the lowest lawful tax burden for the client. The incumbent also prepares and timely files other related tax returns, tax estimates and tax information documents, and performs calculations of moderate to high complexity of various tax scenarios to assist and work with both clients and the lawyers with strategic tax planning.
- Prepares and timely files federal and state individual and fiduciary income tax returns of moderate to high complexity as assigned by the Manager of Tax Services (“Manager“), including quarterly federal and state tax estimates as required.
- Prepares and timely files required tax returns and estimates or withholding as applicable for non-profit organizations, employment tax returns (e.g., household employees), non-resident alien trust beneficiaries and other return preparation assignments as determined by the Manager.
- Prepares and timely files federal gift tax returns of moderate complexity and performs gift tax planning projections or assists with same, as requested by the lawyers and as assigned by the Manager.
- Performs federal and state income tax projections of moderate to high complexity to assist the lawyers in strategic tax planning or assists with same for clients as assigned by the Manager.
- Analyzes trusts and other documents to determine the tax return requirements for related accounts as assigned by the Manager.
- Reviews tax returns and other work product prepared by other tax accountants as assigned by the Manager and reports to the Manager regarding the accuracy of the work product reviewed.
- Prepares for review by the Manager or designee, amended returns, claims for refunds and applications for abatement as needed to determine the proper tax liability for accounts assigned to the incumbent. Reviews said documents when prepared by other income tax accountants, as assigned by the Manager.
- Participates and assists the Manager in audits of a client's tax return(s) with federal and state tax authorities of any tax returns prepared by the incumbent. Keeps Manager and all parties apprised of the process and consults with Manager and lawyers as appropriate.
- Provides support to other income tax accountants on tax system and technical support matters relating to fiduciary return and quarterly estimate tax matters.
- Performs historical tax cost research for assets included in trust or by a client as assigned by the Manager; also performs same for assets of a trust or client which the incumbent has return-preparation responsibility.
- Assists the Manager with maintaining Tax Services policies and procedures.
- Executes other duties assigned by the Manager which are consistent with the objective of delivering timely and accurate tax administration services to our internal and external clients and tax vendor(s).
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent in a business-related discipline is required, with a degree in accounting preferred. An advanced degree is taxation is preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience in preparation of sophisticated individual and fiduciary income tax returns as required, with at least three (3) years direct fiduciary tax experience in a law firm, accounting firm, or bank trust department required.
- Working knowledge of computerized tax preparation software systems is required.
- Familiarity with standard office practices and personal computer software, such as Word and Excel is required.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, including management staff, lawyers and support staff.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with clients, both internal and external.
- Ability to be a proactive, self-starter, who understands the details within a much larger context.
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
- Able to work in a collaborative style and environment.
- Must be team-oriented and able to share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out multiple related activities.
- Ability to work in a multi-office environment.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.