The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that all meals coming from the kitchen are well prepared with regard to quality, consistency, eye appeal, taste and food cost. He/she is expected to provide training for all staff; meet corporate quality standards; and assist in establishing and enforcing food specifications, portion control, recipes and sanitation. The Sous Chef is also responsible for controlling food and labor costs while maximizing guest satisfaction.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Work with other F&B managers and keep them informed of F&B issues as they arise.
- Keep immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
- Coordinate and monitor all phases of Loss Prevention in kitchen areas.
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor quality of all food product and presentation.
- Ensure preparation of required reports, including (but not limited to) Wage Progress, payroll, revenue, employee Schedules, quarterly actions plans.
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the kitchen and food production areas; hot food from the main kitchen and bakery, and cold food from the pantry.
- Make cooks aware of daily forecasts and customer counts so that they can be adequately prepared to serve both hot and cold food on time.
- Respond to guest complaints in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with SOP's in all outlets.
- Ensure compliance with requisition procedures.
- Conduct staff performance reviews in accordance with Highgate Hotel standards.
- Understand, implement and monitor corporate promotions in outlets, including buffet and three-meal concept standards.
- Know and enforce all local health department sanitation laws.
- Know how to compute daily food cost.
- Work with the Director of F&B to create and implement menus.
- Assess food portion size, visual appeal, taste and temperature of items served.
- Check all stations at the end of every shift for proper food storage and sanitation.
- Check food purchases for proper ordering, quality and price structure.
- Oversee daily activities such as preparation for all food items, sanitation of the outlets, receiving daily inventories, log-on report and food cost report.
- Prepare daily food production sheets.
- Cut meat, poultry, seafood according to daily business.
Education & Experience:
- At least 4 years of related progressive experience; or a culinary graduate with at least 2 years of progressive experience in a hotel or a related field.
- Must have knowledge of F&B preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Participate in M.O.D. coverage as required.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.