Software Development Manager - Innovate on a New Platform in AWS
Do you want to lead a team of talented engineers with a rare opportunity to innovate and build a new platform with Amazon Web Services? Are you passionate about removing barriers to innovation for software engineers? Our group is making it easier for AWS's builders to innovate by building scalable controls to ensure that AWS's source code, documentation, and other assets meet security standards and our customers' expectations!
This role is an opportunity to build and develop a team in a rapidly growing part of AWS. You’ll work closely with our customers to build systems that enable them to more easily meet their requirements related to global trade and product compliance. We’re building new platforms from the ground-up, so you’ll be leading development of green-field projects in AWS.
As a Software Development Manager (SDM), you will manage/lead the engineering design and decisions with a team of engineers and program partners. You’ll empower engineers to take tech risks, collaborate with other managers on technical design and strategy with a career opportunity for growth that only AWS can offer.
To succeed in this role, you believe in high standards for code quality, code reviews, testing, and operational excellence. You believe people come first, and have experience managing engineers through autonomy and consensus building. You create mechanisms for achieving results and iterating improvements and can lead a team to deliver results in a space that operates like a start-up, with the autonomy to build the right solution from Day One.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Remote Work Options Available
We value your time to innovate and recognize the need for heads down time to focus on a build. We also value in-person collaboration and time spent face-to-face. Our team affords engineers with options to work in the office every day or work remotely in a flexible hybrid schedule.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
- Manage overall software development life cycle
- Guide the day-to-day activities of the engineering team to execute against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Implement operational excellence strategy and mechanisms for your software
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years as a software development manager
- Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
- Experience with serverless computing, enterprise-wide systems, and AWS products
- Experience working successfully with partner teams at remote locations
- Understanding of Agile software engineering practices
- Experience mentoring software engineers
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Experience working in a Linux environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.