GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Brigham and Women’s Hospital Department of Medicine (DOM) is a Harvard Medical School (HMS)-affiliated academic department comprised of >1,400 faculty, 22 divisions, $360 million in annual professional clinical revenue, >500 residents and fellows, and $475 million in annual research expenditures. The DOM is the largest academic department at BWH and among the largest in the country.
The DOM’s Quality Program has demonstrated continued success in engaging physicians in divisional level efforts to improve performance on internally-driven, clinically-meaningful metrics. With increasing demand from patients, payers, and community for more accountability, transparency, and cost efficiency, quality activities in all settings and across the continuum of care will only assume greater importance. In response, the Quality Program has been structured to serve as a central point of access to all DOM divisions for quality initiatives led throughout the hospital.
The Project Coordinator reports to and provides essential counsel to the DOM Director of Clinical Operations and the Medical Director of the DOM Quality Program . The person in this role will oversee and act as a liaison between the divisions which are being asked to implement the new quality metrics and the leaders of the system-wide projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the guidance of the DOM’s Medical Director of Quality and Director of Clinical Operations, assume a key role in clinical quality measurement design, evaluation, analysis, and process improvement within the DOM.
- Assist with the development of new projects and the maintenance of existing projects within the quality program using the hospital’s electronic medical record (Epic).
- Gain a thorough understanding of Epic quality reporting capabilities. Become familiar with the process and the key stakeholders involved in building new quality measures within Epic.
- Gain a thorough understanding of all existing quality outcomes measurement systems, data sources, and reports generated by the DOM, the Department of Quality and Safety, and MGB Healthcare System.
- Collaborate with primary care and medical specialty divisions in the selection and development of standardized and specialty-specific methodologies and tools for assessing the clinical quality of each of the DOM’s clinical divisions across inpatient and outpatient settings. Develop quality improvement plans for each specialty area. These tasks will involve close and high-profile collaboration with the leadership and staff of the clinical divisions and the DOM, and with the Department of Quality and Safety.
- Provide administrative support for multiple quality projects including the following:
- Perform data abstraction from a variety of sources, including Epic, scheduling tools, and data forms.
- Develop relevant project materials including manuals, process maps, and databases.
- Identify, screen, and collect data for potential patients for projects.
- Responsible for upkeep of database-related activities including creating forms, inputting data, querying, and importing/exporting as needed using MS Access or other tools to meet the study team's needs.
- Develop reports and generate basic queries to share relevant data.
- May travel off site to participating BWH project locations.
- Perform independent patient outreach as necessary (may include phone calls or Patient Gateway communications).
- Perform manual patient chart review for the purpose of obtaining project data.
- Able to manage multiple projects at the same time and effectively prioritize, communicate, and follow up on different aspects of a project.
- Maintain a bibliographic library of supporting materials.
- Assist in publication efforts of projects, as needed, including writing, editing, and data analysis.
- Help with the preparation of talks and presentation materials including MS PowerPoint slides, tables, and graphs.
- May be called upon to present findings at departmental meetings.
- Other administrative tasks (agendas, photocopying, scheduling, etc.) as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the MGB Quality Data Management Group and the Department of Quality and Safety; ensure that the goals and priorities of the these areas are congruent with those developed for the DOM, and that quality infrastructure and tools that have already been developed are appropriately leveraged.
- Organize cross-service quality leadership teams to review measurement methodologies, analyze results, and implement plans for quality improvement in each of the clinical divisions.
- Provide direct assistance to clinical division leaders and front-line staff who are implementing their quality evaluation and improvement plans. In conjunction with the clinical divisions, collect the data required by the quality assessment and improvement program, including conducting chart and electronic medical record reviews as necessary. Serve as a quality coach and champion for divisional staff, as appropriate.
- Provide education, coaching, and consulting support to nurses, physicians, housestaff, other clinical departments, committees, and others, regarding concepts of quality outcomes measurement, major DOM and BWH quality outcomes initiatives, external quality benchmarking program, etc.
- Employ problem solving techniques to help divisions or clinics reach improved outcomes. Maintain a working knowledge of emerging quality measurement and benchmarking initiatives across BWH and MGB and develop close working relationships with project teams and stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver quality-related presentations to a wide array of DOM and hospital constituents.
- Develop monthly DOM and divisional quality performance reports for the Chairman, the Division Chiefs/Administrators, the Medical Director of Quality, and the Director of Clinical Operations.
- Assist with scheduling and planning quality related meetings. Perform other related duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree or 2-4 years relevant work experience in healthcare-related field preferred
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Experience working in large, complex healthcare organization preferred
- Experience in program development in quality measurement and/or improvement or patient safety preferred
- Experience with Epic implementation, reporting, and usage preferred
- Excellent data management and analytic skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Very strong Microsoft Office skills, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Ability to design, develop, and present refined spreadsheets, reports, whitepapers, and slide presentations.
- Experience with or willingness to learn various project management tools including Microsoft Visio
- Experience with or willingness to learn data entry platforms including RedCap and Microsoft Access
- Confidence and comfort in working in a largely independent role
- Extreme degree of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality
- Comfort interacting with and publicly presenting to with a broad array of administrative and clinical staff, including senior management
- Experience with performance improvement methods, including statistical concepts, applications, and data collection
- Strong familiarity with medical terminology, diagnosis coding, billing, and use of electronic medical records