Program Nurse position in the Early Drug Development Center
Job Posted Date
6 months ago(4/29/2019 8:50 AM)
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The Program Nurse is responsible for routine nursing aspects of the program, which include clinical care, patient education, monitoring, and follow-up of patients. He/she acts as a liaison between the various areas of patient care to ensure continuity. Specific responsibilities may vary across the different programs or disease centers. The Mission, Vision and Core values of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute are incorporated into all areas of practice.
- Program Responsibilities:
- Participates in day-to-day operations of the program.
- Participates in program evaluation and development of strategic goals.
- Attends program meetings.
- Participates in the QA/QI projects for the program.
- Supports the research activities of the program.
- Provides program information in response to outside requests and serves as a program resource to Institute staff.
- Functions as the primary nursing contact for care delivered within the physician practice setting.
- Evaluates patient care in the program and collaborates with the other disciplines to facilitate appropriate clinical decision-making and to implement change when necessary.
- Assists providers with procedures as necessary.
- Manages patient care across the continuum, making appropriate referrals as necessary.
- Works collaboratively and functions as an effective member of the health care team.
- Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient safety, and assures compliance with regulatory agency standards.
- Maintains clinical practice that is evidence-based and consistent with nursing policies, procedures and standards.
- Provides care based on age-specific needs of the patient.
- Adheres to the Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements (ANA, 2001) in all aspects of professional practice.
- 10. Complies with accepted standards of professional nursing practice that is evidence- based and consistent with policy, and procedures determined by DFCI as well as with all licensure/registration requirements applicable to the nursing role.
- Fosters an environment that is sensitive to the needs of diverse populations, including but not limited to culture, ethnicity, gender, and age.
- Identifies areas for professional growth.
- Formulates professional goals, objectives and methods for accomplishing these.
- Serves as representative on Nursing and Institute committees.
- Supports research activities within the Nursing and Patient Care Services and the Institute.
- Meets all annual evaluation requirements and competencies within the established time period.
- Collaborates in preparing professional reports, articles, and presentations for colleagues and the public.
- Pursues active membership in local and national professional organizations.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Baccalaureate degree required; baccalaureate in nursing preferred
- Minimum of 1 year (or equivalent) of nursing experience
- Certification in Oncology Nursing, OCN, AOCN, or CPON preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to make independent decisions.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.