Principal Data Analyst, Clinical Operations and Business Analytics (COBA)
Job Posted Date
6 months ago(4/30/2019 6:20 PM)
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The on-going expansion of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) signals an exciting time for both the institute and the Clinical Operations and Business Analytics (COBA) team. As DFCI continues to grow, the COBA team grows with it, providing cutting edge data analytics, strategic tools and new insights that are revolutionizing cancer diagnosis and treatment, for the benefit of all our patients. The COBA team’s goal is to conduct analyses to provide actionable and impactful information to operational and clinical departments to ensure success across the institution. The team supports reporting and analysis in areas such as operations, quality measurement, trend management, utilization, patient management and outcomes.
The COBA Principal Analyst must develop an in-depth understanding of our data and data structures as well as the ability to translate specifications into programming logic, and create visualizations and reports. The Principal Analyst provides collaborative and innovative analytic support across all divisions and teams of the institute, leveraging big data. The Principal Analyst will be responsible for advanced analytics using large datasets sourcing elements from potentially diverse data sources, implementation of exploratory and predictive analyses, visualization of data, and communication and presentation of results.
In addition, the COBA Principal Analyst must have excellent communication skills and ability to engage and educate the analytic community on how to leverage the variety of data sources. The Principal Analyst will be expected to take the lead on new strategic and complex analytic projects, function independently within a fast-paced environment, work on several different projects/tasks concurrently and serve as a data advisor to COBA team and project teams as new projects or ad hoc reports are collaboratively being developed. Assignments will include complex data analysis projects that can be multi-disciplinary or interdepartmental.
The Principal Analyst will also collaborate with the DFCI EDW team to address data requirements for analytic reporting. The Principal Analyst will work with a variety of tools (ex: SAS, SQL, Excel, Oracle, Tableau etc) to access data, write queries, develop programming logic, run reports, manipulate, and analyze large datasets to meet the needs of institute.
- Partner with the COBA Leads to design and lead the analytics projects from creation to completion using COBA Operating model and provide quantitative and qualitative reporting support to various departments that range from finance to clinical operations within DFCI
- Serve as a technical expert for compiling, cleaning, manipulating, and analyzing data related to assigned projects
- Identify and integrate disparate data sources, both internal and external, including raw and unstructured data from technical and non-technical team
- Develop and deploy advanced statistical analysis, machine learning algorithms, predictive models, and classification methods to advance cancer care and inform clinical and financial decision makin
- Actively engage in enhancing the breadth and reach of COBA across the institute
- Collaborate with researchers and clinicians to identify high-impact opportunities for analytics application
- Utilize business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau and Microstrategy) to create reports and dashboards
- Write and develop complex, iterative and multi-part reports and dashboards and prepare summaries of important points
- Build and foster an institute-wide analytic community of practice by training, educating and bringing together analysts, data stewards, business stewards and analytics consumers
- Immediately bring to the attention of the COBA Leads issues, concerns and problems which may hinder achievement of deadlines and or/ accomplishments of responsibilities
- Perform other similar and related duties as required or directed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics or related field
- Minimum 7 years of related work experience in healthcare industry, or 3 years of related work experience in healthcare industry and Master’s in Bioinformatics, Epidemiology or Computer Science
- Extensive experience with Tableau is required
- Requires superior computer skills, i.e. MS Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word and data mining techniques.
- SQL Proficiency - Advanced (minimum 3 years experience)
- Proven experience with data storage platforms including Microsoft SQL, Excel, Access is required.
- Advanced proficiency in SQL server, MySQL or Oracle to be able to use relational databases across Dana-Farber and program independently in at least one system.
- Expert in manipulating data, extracting desired information perform data analysis and troubleshoot data integrity issues
- Ability to train junior staff on the team
- Superior expertise of business intelligence tools, such as Tableau, Microstrategy, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in Tableau Desktop to perform tableau design, development and process documentation to produce required reporting, analytics, and visualization deliverables
- Communicate with internal clients to develop and translate a business requirement into an effective and insightful interactive analytical dashboard
- Quickly and effectively diagnose and respond to service desk requests regarding data integrity and functional or interactive issues in existing and future dashboard
- Promote and contribute to the overall strategy and vision of Tableau design and development practices at the institute
- Advanced knowledge and experience statistical analysis, predictive modelling and machine learning is desirable
- Proficiency in at least one programming tool R, SAS, Stata, Python
- Excellent knowledge of this language programming and associated features and experience in their applications to clinical or operational data is a must.
- Develop coding and table templates for preparing, processing and analyzing data.
- Experience using big data platforms including Hadoop, Hive, and/or MapReduce
- Comfortable learning new software tools
Competent with additional Microsoft Office suite software (e.g. , Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio...)
- Must be able to remain open-minded about data exploration, vet work independently and ensure accuracy of all reports before delivering end-results
- Proven ability to document business requirements and ability to design and develop reports
- Ability to advise clinicians, investigators and management in clear language about results and new directions; strong oral and written communication and critical thinking skills are a must for this position.
- Must be able to function independently and manage multiple priorities
- Must be very flexible in coordinating complex activities that are often subject to rapid or extensive changes and able to prioritize urgent requests
- Exceptional service orientation
- Ability to motivate and inspire others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively manage client and partner expectations
- Willingness to invest in understanding diverse stakeholder cultures, motivations and practices to enable consensus-based solutions.
- Strong sense of balance and ethics, ability to consistently represent the interests and mission of the DFCI and act on behalf of its current and future patients.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.