Arrowstreet Capital is a Boston-based systematic investment firm that manages global equity portfolios for institutional investors around the world. Our firm manages approximately $100 billion for over 200 client relationships.
Arrowstreet Capital is looking to completely overhaul its method for ingesting, storing, processing and presenting data in order to ultimately consume and analyze data at a much greater scale and velocity, by orders of magnitude. The firm is pursuing a process and architecture at the aim of improving time-to-market and agility as we process new data in a quickly changing market.
We are looking for a senior cloud data engineer to work on the cloud architecture and automation of the solutions that will fulfill this vision. The senior cloud data engineer will help Research implement a new data platform and HPC capabilities to run analytics on this data.
This effort will include:
- Identifying and testing candidate technologies for ingesting, storing and transforming data at scale
- Identifying and testing candidate technologies for running analytics, machine learning and HPC at scale
- Participating in the architecture of solutions and proving them out through working solutions
- Developing the automation needed to support the platform and new architectures
- Training and enabling other teams within Research on new technologies
- Supporting efforts in other teams within Research to accelerate project delivery
- Supporting business users directly in adopting new architectures and technologies
- The role will deliver the above in strong collaboration with other Infrastructure/DevOps and Application Teams.
- The senior cloud data engineer position within Arrowstreet's research technologies team will contribute to and support the Research strategy, standards and best practices associated with all aspects of this transformation
- Provide expert level design and engineering support toward the successful delivery
- Lead and participate in deep architectural discussions on the delivery of the vision
- Provide hands-on delivery on both prototypes as well as project work
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with key cross functional leaders and team members – leadership and ability to influence is key for this position
- Educate and coach project team members, sponsors, and functional leaders on architectures and technologies
- Bachelor's (Master's preferred) degree in Computer Engineering or related field; at least 10 years of prior experience in development of services and cloud technologies; financial services exposure is a plus
- Proven record of building cloud native solutions on public cloud (AWS preferred)
- Solid experience dealing with data at scale (ingest, store, transform, analyze)
- Solid experience with cloud data technologies, e.g. AWS (S3, Glue, RDS, Athena, ERM, Redshift, etc.), Third Parties (Snowflake, Databricks, etc.)
- Experience with Big Data technologies, e.g. Hadoop, Spark, etc.
- Experience with Python and frameworks like Panda, Numpy, etc.
- Experience with distributed compute frameworks like Dask, Slurm, AWS Batch
- Experience with container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Experience working on daily basis with Linux-based operating systems
- Experience working on daily basis with Kanban or Agile Scrum sprint
- Strong passion for technology, a willingness to learn new skills and the ability to evangelize
- Self-motivated and self-directed, ability to translate technical direction into functional solutions
- Ability to work effectively, managing multiple priorities while collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to investigate complex issues spanning multiple technologies and drive to completion
- Ability to work with vendors, management, and staff at all levels within the organization
We maintain a friendly, team-oriented environment and place a high value on professionalism, attitude and initiative.