Ginkgo is a well-funded, high-growth biotech company in Boston's Seaport District that isredesigning the living world to solve some of the globe's growing challenges in health, energy,food, materials, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer“ is poised to disruptmultiple industries by leveraging our unparalleled data, automation, and scale capabilities inbiological engineering. We're on the look-out for smart, innovative, team-oriented new teammembers to join us on our mission, and to get the world on board for the ride.
Among the many industries that use our platform, pharmaceuticals are increasingly an area of focus. We've successfully partnered with many companies in the biopharma space to date. Our collaboration with Synlogic has aimed to accelerate expansion and development of Synlogic's pipeline, by using Ginkgo's cell programming platform to build and test thousands of microbial strains. Recently, our COVID-19 response has included work with Moderna, helping optimize their mRNA vaccine manufacturing process.
We're looking for a motivated Director of Commercial Operations - Pharma to join our team. You will play a key role in maximizing Ginkgo's value through the promotion and delivery of bioengineering solutions to Ginkgo's biopharma partners. As the primary customer interface with key biopharma partners at various levels (from executive leadership to technical teams), you will be responsible for the overall success of our pertaining alliances.
You will be in charge of driving the strategy, tactical execution, account growth, and coordination of our diverse partnerships in the biopharma industry. This transversal role will require you to collaborate with multiple internal teams, including finance, creative, legal, commercial, technical, and corporate development. You will be the voice of Ginkgo to our partners, acting as a trusted adviser and subject matter expert.
This role is critical to defining, executing, and delivering the long term application of Ginkgo's technology to its strategic partners in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Manage ownership and accountability of the P&L for different partnerships
- Explore and negotiate growth strategies for the alliance, using knowledge of partner's business and developments in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Propose, oversee, and track the progress of technical projects and their execution to ensure high quality deliverables
- Understand the needs of existing commercial partners and develop strategies to maximize the value of the alliance for Ginkgo and the partner
- Cultivate a healthy relationship between the partner and the technical, deployment, legal, and finance teams at Ginkgo in order to achieve alliance objectives
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners by facilitating information transfer between partners, and proactively resolving business, technical, and contractual issues
- Design and develop key business processes and portfolio reporting rolls to facilitate interactions and status reporting to partners and internal stakeholders
- Travel as necessary
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- Bachelor's degree with 8-10 years of relevant work experience in Pharma, healthcare, biotechnology or related fields; Masters, MBA and/or PhD preferred
- 2-4 years of partner-facing experience preferred
- Technical background and/or experience managing technical projects preferred, for example with a contract research organization (CRO) or a contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO)
- Understanding of the biopharmaceutical drug development process preferred
- Experience overseeing and expanding partnerships
- Experience managing and coordinating small teams (3 to 7 people) for project execution
- Ability to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, technically-driven environment
- Strong aptitude for cultivating working relationships at all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Awarded $40MM NIH RADx-ATP Contract to Expand High Throughput SARS-CoV-2 Testing (PR Newswire)
Ginkgo Bioworks CEO on scaling up Covid-19 testing: 'If we try, we can win'(CNBC)
Ginkgo raises $70 million to ramp up COVID-19 testing for employers, universities (Boston Globe)
Ginkgo Bioworks Redirects Its Biotech Platform to Coronavirus (Wall Street Journal)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
Synthetic Bio Pioneer Ginkgo Raises $290 Million in New Funding (Bloomberg)
Ginkgo Bioworks raises $350 million fund for biotech spinouts (Reuters)
Can This Company Convince You to Love GMOs? (The Atlantic)
We also feel it's important to point out the obvious here – there's a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can't afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.