Under general supervision of Manager of Breast Imaging, the Mammography technologist provides Mammographic technical skills to accomplish the Department's mission. Duties are to work as technologist and duties in other areas and/or modalities as necessary. The Mammography technologist performs mammography exams for use of diagnosis and treatment of disease or injury to patients of all ages.
Mammography Technologist Duties:
- Performs mammography technologist tasks as required.
- 1 Completes procedures in timely fashion while providing quality radiographs for Radiology/mammography and outside departments.
- 2 Sets up equipment as necessary and ensures patient calls are timely, efficient, qualitative and complete. Maximizes patient flow through Mammography schedule and department initiatives. Utilizes schedule logs to keep patients informed of procedures and delays.
- 3 Prepares patient for exams as required. Positions patient to optimize image while insuring patient comfort and modesty at all times.
- 4 Performs appropriate studies as determined through policy and procedure. Ensures that exams requested match patient condition and/or history and calls or asks proper persons for more information as necessary to perform the proper study.
- 5 Responsible for performing timely and quality images. Repeats films when exposure factors determined inadequate or when additional films may be required to obtain the desired results. Additional requests may be made by radiologist, manager and/or requesting clinician.
- 6 Follows all radiation safety procedures to ensure patient is not compromised as it relates to radiation safety. The mammographer understands all radiation safety issues through annual compliance with radiation safety briefing and /or seminars.
Cross Training and or Cross Modality Coverage
- The Mammography Technologist may perform cross training and cross modality coverage in other departments as required and determined necessary for operational effectiveness, patient care and departmental needs.
- 1 Cross trains into other modalities as determined by Manager and Department needs and demands.
- 2 Performs job functions as required in all areas of the Breast Imaging Department as determined by the Manager, Supervisor and/or Chief of Breast Imaging.
Understands and adheres to managed care guidelines and procedures.
- 1 Enters all pertinent Radiology/Mammography patient information into Information System as required.
- 2 Maximizes codes and reimbursement issues within Radiology/mammography via code updates, changes and knowledge base.
- 3 Understands and implements all updated managed care criteria for reimbursement and billing protocols.
- Performs patient focused customer service and ensures the following standards are met appropriately and achieved:
- 1 Communicates patient complaints professionally.
- 2 Handles phone calls and all requests for services both professionally and appropriately.
- 3 Treats patients and fellow staff with dignity and respect and reports any/all problems to supervisor.
- 4 Accommodates patient needs and staffing needs and requirements through flexibility in scheduling and timeliness of studies.
- 5 Understands the requirements of the department by providing services to patients not only in performance of studies but also in providing any/all information on reports as necessary and appropriate.
- 6 Faxes reports and gives referring physician's assistance when patient may ask questions and/or request for Radiology reports come up.
- 7 Keeps discussions around patients to a minimum and ensures that patients are not subjected to departmental conversations and any inappropriate behavior.
- 8 Monitors patient conditions and if/when conditions are determined assistance may require, employee facilitates the best course of action to include: nursing involvement, other assistance, further monitoring and/or other patient focused solutions.
Documentation and Record Keeping:
- Documentation of procedures to include, completing of procedures properly in the Radiology Information System and entering proper demographics in a timely and efficient manner
- 1 Ensures that all required documentation is properly performed to include but not limited to any/all of the following:
Proper filling out of requisitions Proper procedures in computer related to all procedures performed. Proper recording of any required department and or insurance/ managed care requirements for proper recording and or billing of Radiology Procedures.
Standard of Conduct and Competencies:
- Maintains competencies as applicable: education, radiation safety, positioning, equipment, quality control, processor/darkroom, and record maintenance, preparation of contrast media, patient skills, infectious control, problem solving, employee education and required training and cross training. Employee will be responsible at all times for following hospital and Department established policies for all of the following:
- 1 Interpersonal relations with patients, visitors, physicians, and fellow employees and staff are carried out in a courteous, professional, friendly and understanding way.
- 2 Employee is neat and well groomed and observes all radiology and/or Faculty Practice Plan dress codes. Identification badge is worn at all times while on duty at the Boston Medical Center.
- 3 Employee does not take advantage of days off. Employee ensures proper notification is provided of any absence or tardiness. Employee does not take exceed break times and/or lunch or dinner breaks. Any variances termed excessive will be pursuant to possible disciplinary action and/or modification of duty.
- 4 Employee takes corrective action to improve performance when required.
- 7 Employee works at all times with other members of the department and or health care team by assisting and helping others with duties and or assignments, whenever their own schedule permits.
- 8 Employee does not make or receive unnecessary personal phone calls. Abuse of personal calls will be observed by the Manager of Breast Imaging and/or the Radiology Operations Manager.
Helps to maintain equipment by following proper equipment handling procedures and ensuring safety protocols.
Initiates troubleshooting procedures/calibration of equipment/ /problem solving. Communicates with service vendors regarding service and equipment related issues; notify the Manager of problems as necessary.
Handles basic cleaning and disposal of contaminated equipment.
Follows all department established and appropriate policies and procedures as required.
Problem solves continuously to help facilitate patient care, high volume, demands and management requirements and concerns. Notifies Manager of potential issues, problems, concerns or requests for improvements and quality initiatives.
Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
Utilizes hospital's behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department's and the hospital's mission and goals.
Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
Other duties as needed.