GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: - The Accountant IV supports the Fiscal Division of the Office of Grants and Research performing accounting tasks including but not limited to: processing contracts and tracking them through the Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System (MMARS). Processing payments and tracking through the disbursement process and resolving any vendor problems and maintaining accurate spreadsheets.
The incumbent of this position will review all accounting documents for proper backup documentation according to Agency, State and Federal regulations prior to entering the transactions into Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System (MMARS) for Federal grants and state accounts that relates to Justice and Prevention Division.
Prepare Standard and Incidental Contracts and data entry of encumbrance and payment transactions for federal grants and state accounts into the state's accounting system (MMARS). Assist with the Interdepartmental Service Agreements as needed.
Enter Availability of Grant Funds and Notice of Intent into COMMBUYS and other transactions as necessary.
File and update the Fiscal database daily. Perform other duties as assigned and required.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive).
- Prepare contract documents relating to federal grants, operating and capital accounts ensuring that all documents abide by the Office of the State Comptroller's policies, State and Federal regulations and Office of Grants and Research guidelines. The review includes, but is not limited to, ensuring mathematical accuracy, authorized signatory approval and ensuring that all necessary supporting documentation is attached.
- Review contract budgets for mathematical accuracy and accurately enter signed contracts documents in the Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System, (MMARS) ensuring all necessary supporting documentation is attached.
- Review and process payments relating to federal grants, operating and capital accounts in a timely and accurate manner. Review payments and quarterly reports against approved contract budgets for mathematical accuracy and remaining balances. Enter (monthly and quarterly) payment documents in the Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System, (MMARS) ensuring all necessary supporting documentation is attached. Maintain accounting records to ensure to all expenditures are charged to the correct federal grants and program codes and vendors.
- Prepare contract modifications and Interdepartmental Service Agreements extensions as required.
- Review and enter documents into MMARS - CT (Contract), PRC (commodity based purchase), GAE (general encumbrance document), GAX (general accounting expenditure), and PC (commodity purchase order).
- Monitor MMARS document catalog daily to ensure timely delivery and approval of documents in MMARS and work with supervisor and the Comptroller's office to resolve any discrepancies.
- Submit contracts /encumbrances over Executive Office of Public Safety and Security's delegation authority to the Office of the Comptroller for approval and monitor the approval process in MMARS.
- Setup new vendors (VCC) in MMARS as well as Vendor Customer Modifications (VCMs).
- Enter contract and match requirements into the internal database as required by Federal guidelines.
- Enter payment transaction into the internal database and reconcile internal database to MMARS on a quarterly basis and notify supervisor of results or discrepancies.
- Reconcile the internal database expenditures to MMARS on a weekly basis.
- Assist in expenditure reconciliations utilizing the Commonwealth Information Warehouse (CIW).
- Maintain contract and payment files.
- Using reports from Comptroller an MMARS to reconcile accounts and ensure compliance under state law and internal controls.
- Enter payments and reconcile office administrative related invoices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of accounting data
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations using formulae to solve accounting problems.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to gather information by examining records and documents and through questioning individuals.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to work independently and is highly organized.
- Ability to work in a team setting. Ability to coordinate the efforts of others in accomplishing assigned work objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
- Proficiency in the Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System (MMARS) and COMMBUYS.
- Ability to perform several important functions simultaneously.
COMMENTS: Please upload an updated resume and cover letter.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have at least (A) four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in accounting or auditing, of which at least (B) two years must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
- An Associate's degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
II. A Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience.*
III. A Graduate degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience and one year of the required (B) experience.*
- Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
NOTE: Educational substitutions will only be permitted for a maximum of one year of the required (B) experience.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.