Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion,and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB's Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com.
ABB is seeking a Turbo Technician for its Bolingbrook, Illinois location. This role is responsible for all aspects of the repair, installation and maintenance of turbochargers and their components at customer job sites and in ABB's workshops with a high degree of quality expectations and ensuring that the company is represented professionally, ethically, with high code of conduct, to achieve the financial and commercial targets of the company.
- Assembly and disassembly of turbochargers and turbocharger components and all associated processes for the purpose of repair, maintenance and installation, while in the workshop or at customer's job site, to all ABB working instructions and quality standards.
- On 24-hour call and prepared to travel to respond to service calls from our customers and as directed by company management.
- Skilled in the use of metric and imperial measuring tools, such as verniers, calipers, micrometers, gauges, etc. with high degree of accuracy.
- Cleaning turbocharger and turbocharger components to ABB Standards using wet and dry cleaning processes, ensuring the integrity of the components material and dimension.
- Knowledge and skill of operating of rotating machinery, such as balancing machines, lathes, drills, boring machines correctly and in a safe manner, working with close tolerances.
- Ability to read and understand instruction books written in English and drawings and to communicate efficiently and effectively in a professional manner, verbal or in written, while understanding the importance of protecting the company's propriety information and intellectual property rights.
- Ability to lead a small team of service engineers, mechanics, fitters and/or ships crew to organize the Work on the job site or in the workshop to ensure that a Work is completed on time and to all ABB's quality and safety requirements.
- Basic knowledge of turbocharger and engine principles, product range and repair techniques with ability to troubleshoot and provide information for investigation reports and operational inspections to assist customer improve the efficiency and operation of their product.
- Receiving turbochargers and components into the service group and evaluating/reporting on the repairs that need to be completed and/or spare parts that need to be ordered within ABB guidelines and working instructions.
- Maintains controls of all special and hand tooling, slings, lifting and safety equipment to ensure that they are in good order.
- Ensures that the workshop machines are clean and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions with records of inspections and work performed - (designated)
- Ensures the cleanliness and upkeep of the workshop, thereby creating an efficient and customer focused work environment in the shop and on jobsites.
- Clean driving license with ability to collect/deliver turbocharger and components to customer's job site and perform work.
- Act as Company's representative working to the company's code of conduct and in an ethical manner to expand business activities and strives to satisfy and exceed customer's needs and expectations.
- Maintain continuous training of all new product and processes, best practices and product service all in accordance with working instructions and company regulations to maintain a high quality of service engineering group.
- All quality aspects and discipline for job execution, through standard presentation of components following service/repair, including final in-house job inspection to documentation within company guidelines/regulations, including the accurate and timely completion of DSA service reports, evaluations, part requests etc.
- Basic understanding of financial and legal aspects of contracting with the customers and suppliers.
- Reviews and evaluates shop and service working practices, suggest and implement corrective actions where necessary to improve the efficiency of the service performance level.
- Special projects as required.
- High school or Vocational school graduate or equivalent and minimum 2 years of mechanical experience, as mechanic in diesel or rotating machinery preferred.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Knowledge of close tolerances, blueprint readings and metric measurements.
- Ability to write technical reports.
- Ability to communicate with customers and professionally represents company.
- Knowledge of English language.