Senior Biologist/ Environmental Planner – Boise, ID
19400001495 Requisition #
Discover your full potential. At Tetra Tech, we are collaborating with industry-leading experts for a sustainable future for our world. We combine consulting and engineering with advanced analytics and technology to solve the world’s most complex challenges. Our innovation hubs across the globe will enable you to share ideas and best practices while growing your professional network. Wherever you are in your career journey, you will benefit from working with world-class engineers, scientists, and technical specialists.
Apply today and join the company that is Leading with Science®.
Tetra Tech’s commitment to hiring the best talent in the industry and helping them thrive professionally is stronger than ever. We have an immediate opportunity for a Senior Biologist/ Environmental Planner to provide permitting and compliance services within our energy, mining, and federal lands practices, where we have been supporting a broad range of projects. These projects include transmission lines, solar, wind, natural gas transmission pipelines, mine development, mine closure, and public land, Department of Energy, and military resource assessment and NEPA support. This position will ideally be located in the Tetra Tech Boise, ID office but we would consider Portland, OR for the right candidate.
The primary focus for this position will be evaluation wildlife issues related to proposed project development on private and public lands in the western United States. The candidate will have the skills to provide support to project managers and lead biology related tasks in the regulatory and permitting process for a variety of land development projects in the Pacific Northwest, Intermountain West and throughout the U.S. for public and private clients.
The candidate will design, and conduct studies and resource analyses and consult with county, state, and federal governmental bodies and agencies. The candidate should also have experience with agency coordination, coordinating with technical teams and understand state and federal wildlife laws and regulations. The position would involve a combination of writing, task management and field work. A complete and thorough understanding of the Oregon Energy Facility Siting Council (EFSC) site certificate process is mandatory.
- Design and conduct wildlife surveys and habitat evaluations.
- Analyze potential impacts on biological resources for a variety of projects.
- Support project managers and other technical staff with client-agency communications.
- Develop proposals for biological-related tasks (preparing scopes, schedules and budgets).
- Manage biology tasks (coordinating field logistics, overseeing surveys and managing field staff).
- Support due diligence and permitting efforts and prepare field survey reports and mitigation and monitoring plans.
- Prepare biological sections of NEPA documents (EAs and EISs), and other documents required under the Endangered Species Act.
- Ability to facilitate the Application for a Site Certificate under EFSC guidelines.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in applicable field such as biological science, wildlife ecology, environmental science or natural resource management.
- Ten years plus of professional experience related to wildlife species/habitats and ecological assessments.
- Field experience with wildlife species and habitats in the West, Intermountain West and Great Plains ecosystems.
- Applied knowledge of ecological assessment, environmental impact analysis, environmental due diligence studies, natural/biological resources management and habitat conservation planning.
- Experience with GPS equipment and ArcGIS or similar mapping program is preferred.
- Synthesizing and interpreting biological information and preparing technical reports.
- This position requires strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, and high level of interpersonal communication skills, organizational and time management skills, attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Should have the ability to work independently, communicate clearly and/or work closely with team members located across other offices.
- Demonstrable technical writing/editing ability, commitment to quality in both work processes and products and willingness to assume new roles are critical.
- Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project are necessary to perform the responsibilities of this position.
- Prior experience in private sector or ecological consulting business is desirable.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and be able and willing to travel for field assignments and meetings.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities as well as project requirements.
About Tetra Tech:
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—21,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Explore our open positions at Follow us on social media to learn more about our people, culture, and opportunities:
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.
- Organization: 194 CES