Quality Assurance Manager
Requisition Number: QUALI01035
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Manage all quality functions including processing reviews, testing, plant laboratory functions, steel release, key commodity quality and new plant specification review.
- Manage salaried and hourly personnel including the hiring, performance management, training, safety, scheduling and project management. Maintain positive employee relations.
- Educate internal and external customers regarding product quality requirements, product application, plant quality trends and internal/external customer quality expectations.
- Identify customer plant quality issues and work with appropriate operating units to develop corrective action to the problems.
- Oversee the quality aspects of processing such as rolling, barmill operations, shipping and laboratory functions.
- Identify ways to control or reduce costs (yield) through improved processing. Lead continuous improvement initiatives.
- Oversee the writing of reports, technical papers, and presentations.
- Oversee and evaluate trials (procedures, processing, new materials) to improve plant quality.
- Assure compliance with all company policies.
- Broad general business knowledge.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgy or Metallurgical Engineering. Degrees in closely affiliated fields will be considered; MBA preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in steel bar product metallurgy and quality or related experience required.
- Leadership skills: ability to retain, and manage professionals and scientists.
- In-depth written and oral communication skills; requirement for cross cultural communications.
- In-depth interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to relate to all types of people; demonstrated trust and integrity.
- In-depth problem solving and analytical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of quality systems; knowledge of ISO, QS, TS and other standards.
- In-depth customer service skills.
Essential Physical Demands of the Job
- Ability to see, communicate, hear and utilize electronic communication devices.
- Stressful work environment.
- Plant working conditions: hazardous, dirty and subject to weather and temperature extremes.
- Previous experience that is necessary background to qualify for this position:
- Seasoned, broad general experience in plant quality and bar steel making from start to finish.
- Extensive knowledge of metallurgy and chemistry, typically acquired through a B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering.
- Extensive project management experience.