As a Senior Electrical Engineer on the Rigetti Control Systems team, you will design, develop, and deploy hardware to generate microwave pulses that control and readout the qubits in our quantum computing system. This involves board design (schematic and layout), which includes digital, analog and RF components. Testing is another major thrust including verification using scopes, spectrum analyzers, VNAs, as well as testing on the qubits themselves. As part of this process you’ll work closely with other engineers on the team and with many different teams with different backgrounds. This includes embedded software engineers, mechanical engineers and physicists to help define requirements, build tools and test the system. A key aspect of this position is working with the physics teams to design the hardware to meet requirements set by the physics of our quantum processors. This will require an ability to collaborate, communicate effectively (both written and oral), and to understand problems at a system level and be willing to trade off where necessary.
- RF and analog design, layout and simulation
- PCB design and development experience, including both schematic capture and layout. Preference towards using Altium
- Experience working with standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, vector network analyzers, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to interact across different disciplines
- 4+ years of experience
- BS degree in EE or equivalent
Nice to Have
- Experience with high speed signaling
- Experience working with PCB manufacturers and assembly houses with an understanding of manufacturing processes, standards and design rules
- Python scripting (especially the scientific python stack eg. numpy, scipy)
- Experience with FPGA development and verilog coding
- Unlimited PTO + Suggested 2-3 annual sabbatical
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership reimbursement
- Monthly Lyft Credits
- Weekly Dry Cleaning/Laundry Service
- Free Weekly Haircuts
- Breakfast/Catered Lunch/Unlimited Snacks
- 98% coverage on Medical, Dental, Vision
- 16 week paid parental leave
- Life Insurance
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Dog Friendly Offices
- Flexible Work Schedule
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 140 people.
For more information, refer to our About page.
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.