Underground Construction Co., Inc. has provided quality gas, power, airport fueling and telecom construction services for over 80 years. Since laying our first pipe in 1936, we have successfully completed thousands of government, commercial and private sector construction projects throughout the United States. Underground Construction Co., Inc. is one of the oldest and most respected contractors in the West. We continue to lead our industry in safety, quality, customer satisfaction and community service. Our complete and diverse range of construction services includes gas transmission and distribution, electrical transmission and distribution, airport fueling facilities, industrial and special projects, telecommunications and utilities.
Our projects are regulated by federal and state laws which require all employees to successfully pass criminal background checks, MVR, and drug tests (post-employment and random testing).
About the Job
We are looking for a Field Safety Representative to join our Electric Safety group. The Field Safety Representative provides safety support, leadership and technical expertise on assigned projects. Coordinates efforts to ensure compliance with site specific safety plans, corporate safety plans and policies, project requirements, and all Federal, State and local requirements.
- Perform safety and equipment audits, as well as yard inspections, to identify/correct, potential hazards and ensure safety regulation compliance. Includes company equipment, vehicles, facilities, job sites, and safety equipment
- Ensure adequate safety oversight over employees and subcontractors is provided at all times during construction operations.
- Ensure project specific safety training is provided and all employees, including subcontractors, are aware of site specific safety requirements, Contractor's site specific plans, and required Federal, State, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Document all safety violations or unsafe conditions/activities;
- Assist in job site accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injury investigations to determine probable causes and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Ensure adequate, appropriate, and timely actions are taken to correct hazards once identified.
- Ensure attendance and participation at project safety meetings including attendance of subcontractor safety personnel.
- Ensure all reporting is completed in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with customers and outside agencies as required.
- Educate/train employees in regulatory and company requirements
- Conduct and/or participate in incident investigation
- May accompany an injured employee for treatment and medical evaluation.
- Conduct environmental, health and safety compliance audits to ensure compliance
- Communicate constantly with all levels of project management and supervision as it relates to both good and bad safety practices that are observed.
- Orients employees to the safety practices required by the Company and on the project
- Other duties as assigned or needed
- Three (3) years of experience in utility distribution, transmission and underground electric construction safety.
- Occupational Safety and Health Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred
- Ability to work 40+ hours per week, which may include weekends.
- Prior heavy construction experience
- Knowledge of and ability to enforce all federal, state, local and Company safety regulations/requirements
- Ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement corrective measures
- Knowledge of: PPE, Fall Protection, Confined Space, Scaffolding, Crane/Rigging, Hazardous Communication, Equipment Safety, Incident Investigation, Traffic Control, OQ Training
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Willing and able to travel to other Underground Construction offices and job sites
- Ability to maintain: valid driver's license
It is the continuing policy of Underground Construction to afford equal opportunities for all qualified persons, regardless of their race, creed, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other protected class at the local, state, or federal level. No person shall be excluded from employment consideration on the basis of these factors.